Phrag wallisii 08

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Rob. And thanks for the spelling help on warszewiczianum! I wished they left it as wallisii just for the spelling issue:poke::poke:

Maybe we should just give the species in this group a number. :p

No serious. I agree, the changing of these names will for most people just be one big confusion. (As if the spelling of the names wasn't confusing enough.) On the other hand from a taxonomic point of view I also agree with Braem et al. that plants should be named according the international rules. From a horticultural point of view these recombinations are a nightmare. What can we do... It's probably a subject which will be under debat for ever.

Rob

Wonderful plant!!:clap:

I'm so curious about the way you grow it... its pot hangs always on that bottle? It's potted in LECA?:)

Wonderful plant!!:clap:

I'm so curious about the way you grow it... its pot hangs always on that bottle? It's potted in LECA?:)

I put it up on the pickle jar just to raise it up for the petals not to drag on the benches, and there is nothing in the jar that sustains the plant. Its in an aircone pot with a CHC mix and some chopped sphagnum. It gets watered just about every 1-3 days with RO water and fertilized 1X per week. It's in a sunny location in the mornings, and doesn't seem to like high temps. I have had rot problems with this species when they spend too much time in hot/dry conditions, so if you keep them Cattleya bright, but near the wet pad they should do very good.

Thank you very much, Rick!!
i'm sorry but... what does CHC mean?:eek: Maybe charcoal? It's potted only in charcoal and sphagnum?? Interesting...

So, you water it ever 2-3 days, you don't leave it with its feet in water, right? I've read that wallisii ( and all caudatum's variety) loves to dry (very lightly) between watering, indeed...

Thank you very much, Rick!!
i'm sorry but... what does CHC mean?:eek: Maybe charcoal? It's potted only in charcoal and sphagnum?? Interesting...

So, you water it ever 2-3 days, you don't leave it with its feet in water, right? I've read that wallisii ( and all caudatum's variety) loves to dry (very lightly) between watering, indeed...

I used to have a very nice wallisii that was in a basket of moss that I would leave in a tray of water. It grew very well this way for a few years but died of an erwinia infection when it got too hot one summer. In the pot it stays pretty damp between waterings, but I wouldn't say dry. There is a little cup under this plant that does hold water for 1/2 a day after watering, so its halfway between what your paphs would normally get and what your other phrags would normally get.

Thanks again Rick, your information are very helpful to me :)

..and thanks Likespaphs, for the meaning of CHC :D

Latest posts

Back