Phrag. Thor's Hammer

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

This is a new cross between Phrag. Red Lightning (=sargentianum x popowii aka humboldtii) and Phrag. popowii (aka humboldtii). This plant was grown beautifully by our own Terry Rosborough, and he was the first to bloom it! He dropped it of today to show the plant, and actually gave it to me (as I made the cross), so that was very nice of him. Now I am already planning what to do with it next...

Anyway here it is:

PhragThorsHammer22613_zpsa5bb8fab.jpg

PhragThorsHammer-plant2-22613_zps2c7f4310.jpg

PhragThorsHammer-close3-22613_zps4dd47719.jpg

PhragThorsHammer-sideclose-22613_zps229a6ac8.jpg

Here is it's parent Phrag. Red Ligtning:

PhragRedLightningDarkThunderboltAMAOS82pts7122008_zps87328a06.jpg

And it's other parent Phrag. popowii (aka humboldtii):

Phragpopowii-DarkRiver-5172009-1_zpsd07fd907.jpg

Robert

Very beautiful Robert. Something to look for next time I order from OL.

1. I gave this plant to Robert as a token of my appreciation for his knowledge and skills as a scientist and breeder. He is a fine fellow. I have also come to realize that what I like is growing new crosses, mostly in the Slipper category and getting them to bloom. Then, I am ready for new crosses. I don't love the long-petaled Phrags so I looked at this and thought, "This could be taking up room for three or four new seedlings!"

2. This plant was grown for the last year and a half in sphagnum moss under LED lighting and for the last year with K-Lite and Kelpmax supplementation. I know all of our debates about LED lighting and K-Lite fertilizer and I am not claiming superiority for these over anything else, but at least they work well enough for me to have bloomed this cross first. They can't be awful.

3. Robert - a question I didn't ask you today but after your post, I am back confused about naming! I thought I had converted to thinking that this cross is 2/3 warscewiczii but now you are back to naming it popowii (aka humboldtii). Where are we this week in the naming debate about these long-petaled Phrags?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Terry, I agree the naming of this species is confusing. ..I named it popowii, as this is what the original name was on the tag, and even though I don't agree with the name humboldtii, that is currently the excepted name at the RHS orchid registration. I noticed that even the RHS is confused as some crosses with the same parent species, they named warscewiczianum...as an example when you look up Phrag. Wossner Supergrande it is listed as warscewiczianum x longifolium...both Braem and Olaf Gruss, now consider warscewiczianum to be the correct name for the species wallisii...so go figure...

In my paper I used the name warscewiczii, for this species, only if you would lump some of the species together I.e. if you would consider wallisii and lindenii to be the same species, you would call them lindenii subsp.lindenii and lindenii subsp.walisii and if you would consider the central american species to be one species. In that case I would have used the name warscewiczii.(warscewiczii subsp.warscewiczii and warscewiczii subsp. exstaminodium)....but if I would consider them all as separate species I would still use the name popowii. Braem agrees with that, but most other taxonomists don't...only time will tell I guess...

''Thor's Hammer''??? That must have been when the nordic gods went to visit their southern colleague Viracocha???!! Now, the clonal name will be interesting. But what thrills me most is the unique pattern in the pouch - thats fantastic and weird altogether, could be looking at it for hours - imagine having the real plant in front! A pity that we don't get this kind of plants here in Europe.

Latest posts

Back