Phrag. Soft Spot (Magdalena Rose 'Mother' 4n X Barbara LeAnn ' Pink Doll')

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
This is a flower on my mother plant. I donated a division of this to the auction and Yoyo Jo (Joanne), was the winning bidder. The division is rooting nicely and will be shipped to Joanne shortly.

The mature growths are quite small; ~about the size of a Hanne Popow.....and so is the flower. However, the colour is far more red than any Hanne Popow that I've ever seen. So, it's a nice and unique addition to any collectiion.

25458.jpg

Yay besseae hybrids. BTW, Hanne Popow's aren't that small! The x fischerii crosses and Phrag Cotton Candy are a small size.

Eric, it seems that I can't get anything right today.....at least as far as you're concerned. :( But really, I think you know what I mean when I compare this to a Hanne Popow. At least you should! Lots of wonderful red Phrag hybrids are huge plants with long, wide leaves, tall, multibranching stems and quite large flowers. Even a very well grown Hanne Popow can't compare in size to the monster, red/organge flowering hybrids. As Phrag Hybrids go, Hanne Popow is one of the smallest....not THE smallest; but, one of the smallest. I used it as an example because they are so common.

Hi John,

Very nice! I think this is the Phrag. breeding trend that's going to become very popular because of the compact growth habit and brightly colored flowers. Sorcerer's Apprentices are spectacular, but who has the room? I'd breed it back to a good fischeri.

Thanks,

Beautiful flower! Now how did I miss that auction? Every one of the plants I bought from you have been great. :) I expect to get some more in the future.

Last edited:
Hi John,

I think schlimii might impart en-even (grainy) coloration to the lower portion of the petals of the off-spring, but since it's really nice schlimii give it a try. P. fischeri can do this as well, but to a much lesser degree. Have you tried Zephyrus Orchids for a fischeri?

Thanks

Last edited:
I love this flower! WOW!!!:drool:

Incidentally, my Magdalena Rose is in spike now and I have to say that I really like the shape of John's flower. Absolutely wonderful!

Thanks again for your nice comments everyone!

Hi John,

I think schlimii might impart en-even (grainy) coloration to the lower portion of the petals of the off-spring, but since it's really nice schlimii give it a try. P. fischeri can do this as well, but to a much lesser degree. Have you tried Zephyrus Orchids for a fischeri?

Thanks

I think I know what you mean about the grainy colour issue; but, amongst the variation of the cross, there may be some good ones. I haven't tried Zephyrus. I've been waiting for the price to come down; but, it seems that it's not going to do that. Lately, it's simply been a case of me needing to not spend any money on more plants; but, to concentrate on selling them instead. Bills, bills, bills!

Latest posts

Back