Phrag. Sedenii 'Hildegarde'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

AquaGem

267.jpg

268.jpg

I'm not sure about the dorsal but the rest of the flower is very nice.

AquaGem,
that´s a very nice and well grown plant.
Shiva,
is the dorsal too much twisted?

AquaGem,
that´s a very nice and well grown plant.
Shiva,
is the dorsal too much twisted?

It's a little too much to my taste in the first picture. But the other flowers seem fine to me. This being said, there's a great deal of confusion between Sedenii and Cardinale and this one may have a dose of both. :confused:

This being said, there's a great deal of confusion between Sedenii and Cardinale and this one may have a dose of both. :confused:

Is it possible that some of the plants we see called Sedenii are really perhaps Sedenii selfed or sib-crossed? If so, they would be second generation, and such F2 plants would not necessarily be exactly half schlimii and half longifolium.

At any rate, I really find this flower attractive and would love to have one like it in my collection of Phrags! Great growing & blooming. :clap:

Sedenii and Calurum were both made in the 1870s and registered a few years later. Along the way, they have been made and remade many times over and sometimes, they were mixed by mistake or by nature. in the early days, they would be raised from seeds in the mother pot and who knows what happened. Today's breeders are much more careful but there are the odd old Sedenii and Calurum out there that can still serve as parents. And if you add Cardinale to the mix..., not to forget what variety of longifolium parent!!! But I do agree with you, I would very happily like to own this plant. :p

I agree there is confusion between Sedenii and Calurum, but this looks like neither. Are you sure it's not Schroederae?

I had to look that one up (caudatum X schlimii), but after doing so, I agree this does look very similar. OK, then I guess I have to put that one on my wish list!

This plant/division came from Glen Decker. If you google this plant and clone you will get to see that it has been pretty much the same as the other Sedenii. Schroederae has much longer petals.

It's beautiful, but I am sure there is caudatum in... Looks like Schroderae. I don't know where Glenn got it, but at a point, he bought from two sources divisions and selected plants that were all mislabeled ( from the Eric Young, and from Germany/Netherlands). As a fact, his awarded esquirolei ( Haley Suzanne) is one of those pot plant hybrids similar to the Taka. Now I am sure he is honest, that's not the point, but he trusted the wrong suppliers sometimes.

It's beautiful, but I am sure there is caudatum in... Looks like Schroderae. I don't know where Glenn got it, but at a point, he bought from two sources divisions and selected plants that were all mislabeled ( from the Eric Young, and from Germany/Netherlands). As a fact, his awarded esquirolei ( Haley Suzanne) is one of those pot plant hybrids similar to the Taka. Now I am sure he is honest, that's not the point, but he trusted the wrong suppliers sometimes.

The esquirolei is suppose to be Taka x self. Anyways, the plant has been in Japan for over 12 years now. This Sedenii is from a source in the USA so nothing to do with the European side.

The esquirolei is suppose to be Taka x self. Anyways, the plant has been in Japan for over 12 years now.

Approximately yes (still very expensive), and that's a sister plant of 'Taka', a pot plant hybrid made by Orchideen Wichmann... Taka is absolutely sterile, like the others from this crop, as they are aneuploids hybrids. I witnessed that story (same for Atlas, etc... they are from Wichmann) and know who had the idea and who did that ( the same that did the rothschildianum album).

Those Sedenii, Schroderae, Albopurpureum, I do not know exactly about this cultivars, but I know as a fact that Michel Paul, through Mike Tibbs, sold hundreds of divisions ( including the old RHS awarded ones) to California, including Orchids of Los Osos in the 90's.

After that, Glenn got a batch of plants from another nursery in the Netherlands of phrags, some with proper parentage, some not so let's say, and still related to those people ( one RHS judge, and another one vice chairman at a point of the Netherlands Commercial Orchid Growers Association, so we would think they can be trusted).

Many were, of course not properly labeled. Many of those hybrids, like Sedenii, Schroderae, came nearly all from Europe, and were not remade until the end of the 90's-2000. Some could never be successfully remade like the old ones too.

That's a very nice Schroderae you have definitely, but it is not Sedenii... I tend to think that it is a pure Schroderae actually, not one of its hybrids.

Latest posts

Back