Phrag. schlimii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tis' the season for schlimii, and this one is unique; the adult plant is 1/4 the size of our other clones and the leaves are wider as well. I especially like the contrast betwen pouch and petals. Upon opening, the petals and sepals have a distinctive greenish cast to them which turns to bone-white over the following 2-3 days. Makes me wonder whether it could have Phrag. manzurii somewhere in it's background. It's currently carrying a seed pod (selfing). The plant was purchased two years ago from Ecuagenera at one of their US shows.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yeah, that's the ticket, in my penthouse, w/ the swimming pool on the roof, yeah. Don't worry about the money; my cousin Malcolm Forbes is good for it, yeah, that's the ticket! :p

That's gorgeous, Tom. It will be fun to hear how the pod does, and watch it grow into little seedlings. And then into my collection...

That clone is very nice, Tom. 'Wouldn't mind some seedlings from that cross myself! You mention the fairly extreme small size of the plant. I like the sound of that. Do you have a photo of the plant; especially compared to a regular sized one? That would be neat to see. Thanks.

Dang Eric...you took the words right outta my mouth....Ya' know Tom, a housewarming gift would be nice!!!!!:rollhappy::poke:

Hi John,

This is the only shot I have of the entire plant. The leaves are 15 cm long x 2 cm wide, and the plant habit is more like Phrag. fischeri than Phrag. schlimii. Sorry for the background - it's our potting table.

Best, Tom

Last edited:
Hi Eric,

I think this is straight P.schlimii - albeit a well-colored one. I doubt it's a man-made P. (schlimii x andreetae) hybrid, since P. andreetae is such a recent discovery that there just wouldn't have been enough time to produce a blooming size population by the time I bought this one. As well, the distance between the two natural habitats (NW Colombia for P. schlimii vs. NW Ecuador for P. andreetae) pretty much precludes the possibility of there being a natural hybrid.

Hey Rick,

I've already selfed it, and I think I'll use the pollen on the second flower to remake Phrag. Hanne Popow using our best besseae fma flavum as the pod parent. Maybe we'll end up with a Hanne Popow with yellow petals and a dark pink pouch! Or dark pink petals and a yellow pouch........Oh well, we can dream can't we?

Thanks, Tom

wow... that's a gorgeous one! I normally don't like Phrag schlimii because of the disproportionate size of the plant compared to the small size of the flower (IMO!), but this one is fantastic... and the color is very very nice too!

Congrats!!

Latest posts

Back