Phrag roezlii 'Pedro'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Greenpaph

Currently in bloom

PhragroezliiPedro.jpg

Pretty cool. What makes this one different from longifolium?

I was thinking the same thing...so I did some quick research. This one was described in 1903 as different from longifolium due to wider leaves and flower had a "pointier then those of longifolium and have a reddish coloration. The petals are red at the edges. The staminode is smaller and more triangular then that of longifolium." (http://www.phragweb.info/phragmipedium/species/display_species_phrag.asp?phrag_id=183 - pulled the info from Rob's site. Theres the link. Thanks Rob, use your site all the time!)

There are two pics also, one of them seems to lack the red pigment in the synsepal.

That said, Kew doesn't recognize it as a seperate species.

Anywho...very nice Peter! :clap: Would you say the leaves are wider on this one??

Here's a couple of pics of a plant I have labeled as Phrag longifolium "woodbridge x self". The flower is a young flower with a 16.5 cm span.

Maybe the woodbridge clone is also var. roezeli, but this flower seems to match the description a bit better???

Anywho...very nice Peter! :clap: Would you say the leaves are wider on this one??[/QUOTE]

The leaves are 2.6 cm wide. How does that compare? I am naive to longifolium size.

thanks

Here's a couple of pics of a plant I have labeled as Phrag longifolium "woodbridge x self". The flower is a young flower with a 16.5 cm span.

Maybe the woodbridge clone is also var. roezeli, but this flower seems to match the description a bit better???

This one a longifolium var. hincksianum for me....

This one a longifolium var. hincksianum for me....

Is var. hincksianum the nominal form? In Gruss's 2003 OD checklist hinksianum as variety or species is synonymous with nominal longifolium as far back as 1878.

I Googled to try to find out anything on the Woodbridge clone, but nothing came up. It's super floriforous, and grows like a weed. Anyone know anything about this clone?

Here is a comparison shot of my two plants: hincksianum on the left, longifolium on the right.
hinkslongflowersonly.jpg

hincksianum is a cross of 'Wolfriver' X 'Jealousy'
longifolium is 'Red Majer' X 'Swallow', an OZ cross

A different shot of hincksianum.
Phicksianum.jpg

Lovely both of them!!! I think it would be more interesting if the pouch had more/different colours!!! (just a thought!!!)

What is the petal span of those two flowers Rick?
Rick, the longifolium is not in bloom so I have no measurements for it. The hincksianum is like never out of bloom! The current flower is 4.5 inches but it is also more pendulous then the photographed flower. I also measured the width of the leaves. At the widest hincksianum is 3/4+/- inches and the longifolium is 1.25+/- inches.
Lovely both of them!!! I think it would be more interesting if the pouch had more/different colours!!! (just a thought!!!)
You'll have to talk to Mother Nature and make a deal with her if you want different colored pouchs on these species!:poke:

Rick, the longifolium is not in bloom so I have no measurements for it. The hincksianum is like never out of bloom! The current flower is 4.5 inches but it is also more pendulous then the photographed flower. I also measured the width of the leaves. At the widest hincksianum is 3/4+/- inches and the longifolium is 1.25+/- inches.

Based on the measurements my plant is very much like your nominal longifolium.

The flower I photographed is a young flower on a new spike, and the petals really hadn't straightened out all the way. It had a span of 6.5 inches, but I've had flowers that should easily be over 7" on this plant. The leaf width also matches your larger plant.

Based on the measurements my plant is very much like your nominal longifolium.

The flower I photographed is a young flower on a new spike, and the petals really hadn't straightened out all the way. It had a span of 6.5 inches, but I've had flowers that should easily be over 7" on this plant. The leaf width also matches your larger plant.

Hi Rick, some press flower to compare (yeah! I'm keeping all this too...)
My hincksianum is on on left with 9cm petal. Longifolium got a very wide range of size, petal from my var.gracile 7cm and 15cm from my 'Jersey'x 'Trinity'.

As far as I know, hincksianum got that interesting pinkish dorsal and synsepal colouration but the flower itself is looking like a straight longifolium. The flowers from that variety I have seen yet are not very large, but it could have been breed with some bigger longifolium in the past and the coloration is maintain in the progeny.

longifolium.jpg

Back