Phrag. Praying Mantis 'Birchwood'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
(longifolium x boissierianum) - In bloom this afternoon, this is the clone we used to make our Phrag. (Praying Mantis 'Birchwood' x andreettae 'Princess') and
Phrag. (d'alessandroi 'Fox Valley' CHM/AOS x Praying Mantis 'Birchwood') seedlings. With a 19 cm horizontal natural spread, it is as large or larger than any of the Praying Mantis' (Manti ?) awarded by the AOS to date. A vigorous grower and probably not for anyone with limited growing space.

Last edited:
Jake,

We purchased Birchwood Orchids in 1990 after it's founder Dr. Dick Clements passed away. He used the clonal name ' Birchwood' for his special clones, both Paphs and Phrags. The Praying Mantis in the photo was part of the original Clements collection.

Jake,

We purchased Birchwood Orchids in 1990 after it's founder Dr. Dick Clements passed away. He used the clonal name ' Birchwood' for his special clones, both Paphs and Phrags. The Praying Mantis in the photo was part of the original Clements collection.

I won't think of Phrag Cardinal "Birchwood" the same way now. Thanks for the background.

Me too, I really like this one!!!!, too bad about dr. Clements passing, maybe now he lives through his beloved orchid collection

Thanks Tom! I see a lot of 'Birchwood's' around. Must have been a hell of a breeder.

Latest posts

Back