Phrag. Peruflora's Saltimbanco

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phragmatic

Blooming size
Reaction score
Phrag. Peruflora's Saltimbanco (Czerwiakowianum X Kovachii)

DSCN2737.jpg

I like it.

Funny thing... czerwiakowianum . As a trained phylogenetic taxonomist (albeit fishes), trend is to pronounce each syllable in latin names. This works out to be something like zer-wee-ack-ou-ee-ann-um, right? So I pronounced it like that proudly for a long time overlooking the fact that latinized surmanes are pronounced as it would be in the native tongue with the latin ending (and ignorant to how one would possibly pronouce that name). Tom Kalina corrected me after he got a chuckle... sher-va-cove-ee-ann-um.

-Ernie

I like it.

Funny thing... czerwiakowianum . As a trained phylogenetic taxonomist (albeit fishes), trend is to pronounce each syllable in latin names. This works out to be something like zer-wee-ack-ou-ee-ann-um, right? So I pronounced it like that proudly for a long time overlooking the fact that latinized surmanes are pronounced as it would be in the native tongue with the latin ending (and ignorant to how one would possibly pronouce that name). Tom Kalina corrected me after he got a chuckle... sher-va-cove-ee-ann-um.

-Ernie

Very enlightening:) Thanks Ernie.

Great pastel color!

Thanks for the lesson Ernie, I had no idea how to pronounce that species' name!

That is a wonderful hybrid. The colour is excellent, it would be good to see more colour like that bred into future hybrids.

Love it!!!

My first thought was Peruflora didn't miss any primary cross using kovachii! I didn't know what to expect. Nice - pleasant surprise! :clap::clap:
....Funny thing... czerwiakowianum ...
zer-wee-ack-ou-ee-ann-um, right?
Tom Kalina corrected me after he got a chuckle... sher-va-cove-ee-ann-um. -Ernie
:rollhappy::rollhappy: There's no way I would have come even close to either pronounciation, poor Tom would have needed the paramedics after my attempt!

Very pretty!

Thanks for that info Ernie; the right way to pronounce it is much easier than the other way, but I would never have known how to pronounce it that way!

I don't even try to pronounce the "CZ" species, heck it's just a variety of Phrag boissierianum anyway....:poke:

This cross is a nice marriage with two species that tend towards waviness, it is emphasized and celebrated.

Back