Phrag. Nitidissimum 'Wilhelmina Laarman' FCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
I've had this clone for about 20 years. Five or six years ago, I gave Wendy a piece for helping me with an open house - orchid sale that I had. In July 2008, Wendy took her division to judging and won an FCC! Less than 4 months before that, the Mother plant in my greenhouse suffered severe frostbite when the Big Freeze happened. Thankfully, it was one of the plants that pulled through. It had been shortened considerably; but, the rhizome and lower portions of the growths remained viable.....and it grew back. This is the first post-freeze blooming for me. The plant is not yet back up to it's full size again. After blooming, I'm going to repot it and I will expect it to put on some nice sized growths this summer. 'Can't wait 'till next year...maybe I'll get 4 flowers on one stem, like Wendy's piece had when it got awarded.

11601.jpg

11602.jpg

For not being up to its full potential, it's pretty darned spectacular! I'm glad you managed to save it from the doom of freezing temperatures. :)

Wow! Spectacular and beautiful. Congrats for your perseverance. :clap::clap::clap:

How beautiful! :clap: Do you mind telling what it's growing in?

{OrchidWiz could use your lovely photos - there's only an old botanical drawing for this hybrid in there now}

Nice John! It will be spectacular on the next blooming. :clap: :drool:

I can send Alex the photo of my plant when it was awarded.

Thanks very much for all your nice comments everyone!

How beautiful! :clap: Do you mind telling what it's growing in?

I couldn't remember; so, here's a photo.
101_4779-2PhragNitidissimumWilhelmi.jpg

It seems to be bits of broken brick in the bottom, chopped styrofoam in the middle and peat/perlit as a top dressing.

Rick: I'll measure the petals and get back to you on that.

Last edited:
Without your explanations I had thought by myself '20 years of growing and that size??' but with them I say 'WOW it survived freezing - what a vigorous plant and further more very beautiful flowers'. It's lovely!!:drool::drool:
Best regards from Germany, rudolf

Without your explanations I had thought by myself '20 years of growing and that size??' but with them I say 'WOW it survived freezing - what a vigorous plant and further more very beautiful flowers'. It's lovely!!:drool::drool:
Best regards from Germany, rudolf

LOL! Yes, I guess it does seem a bit small after 20 years of growth. During those years it also suffered a severe setback when I became quite ill in the late 90's and didn't care for my plants very well. It had just got back to good health when I made the division for Wendy. Then, it was looking pretty nice just before the freeze....and really horrible right afterwards!

Overall, the Phrags managed pretty well. Some even died right down to the pot...with no live green left at all; but, they came back from dormant eyes on the rhizome just below the surface. :)

Latest posts

Back