Phrag longifolium in situ

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in the mountains today and took a few photos. Here's another longifolium
The mountain shot is to show the extremes we have here in paradise. It was taken at Quijada Diablo. Note the lush green of the north side of th valley, the spur left bottom, and across to the dry side.
It rained lower 3 days ago and the brown is already gone lower. I was on the bus and couldn't get a shot. It amazes me how fast that brown is gone when the riny season arrives.

It amazes me too.Very interesting. Are the plants very different on the sides that dry out fast from the parts that stay green?

the plants are different. On the wet side, you have sobralias, epidendrum, phrags, spathyglottis, etc. Ont the dry side you have many of the same genus, but different species. The trees are different. It is mostly pastureland, while the wet side is useless for pasture at altitude. No matter where you look, Panama is beautiful.

This trip is in Chiriqui Province in Panama. I am living in Gualaca at present, which is in the foothills just as you start to gain altitude.

It's very interesting that the one photo looks like lots of dried grass, but then to hear how wet it stays is quite a different story.

I remember an in situ pic about a druyrii, the slipper orchid was the only green in the pic, and orchid was surrounded by only burned-out, dried brown grass.

Latest posts

Back