Phrag longifolium in situ

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

maitaman

Typical here. thousands
other pic, turn around and take photo of vista

Attachments

• phrg 3.jpg
    phrg 3.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 181
  • mtn 4.jpg
    mtn 4.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 131
I would probably drop dead from excitement to run into some phrags in-situ. That's beautiful, thanks for sharing.

Are those sensitive mimosa leaves/flowers I spot in the photo as well? I have a bunch of seedlings that I sprouted this year, just because I think they're cool.

On the same note as Chris, where are you located?

Here is Chriqui, Panama on the coamrca Ngobe Bugle in La Fortuna area
yes, thousands. There are popowii to bloom in the same place in a month or so. They're only in the dozens, but longifolium is literally in the thousands
Mmosa pubescens are everywhere. There are literally millions of Epi. radicans

They are mostly in full sun, it's cloud forest, so is always damp to wet. There isn' much cloud cover in the daytime. They're found at altitudes of 800M to the highest peaks, about 1600m here. They will grow in the shadier places, but extend bloom stems above the covering foliage. They are often on rocks with moss covering the roots. I have moved them to my place in Gualaca, at about 300M, and they seem to do well in the shade. The secret is keeping the roots damp and cool. A concrete block beside the plant with a tray to keep it acting as a wick will do the trick. I find bacteria, nematodes, etc. are the real problem. They simply are very few at those altitudes.

Thanks again for the photos and thank you for sharing all this information. I really hope you're able to photograph the popowiis when they come into bloom and post another thread here.

They are mostly in full sun, it's cloud forest, so is always damp to wet. There isn' much cloud cover in the daytime.

It's very interesting that the one photo looks like lots of dried grass, but then to hear how wet it stays is quite a different story.

Rick - the photo from across the road is more a zoom shot. The photo was at about 800M- The other picture is at about 725M. The clouds sit at night at 800, but not much lower. 800M is sort of the dividing line there. It is lower and drained. The flatter places and mesas will hold the moisture. It often amazes people how it can be like a line was drawn that divides the vegetation. It is also near Quijada Diablo, where there are constant drying winds on one side of the mountain and little on the other. I was obviously on the wet side of that one and took a picture of the drier side of the next.
I can't think of a reason anyone would think I was lying about the photos. I can't think of any reason anyone would.

I can't think of a reason anyone would think I was lying about the photos. I can't think of any reason anyone would.

I don't think anyone was acusing you of lying or the photos not being authentic. I was just surprised and interested seeing so much brown grass for things being so wet. It's also very interesting that wet/dry areas are so discreet in different places in the terrain.

Here is Chriqui, Panama on the coamrca Ngobe Bugle in La Fortuna area
yes, thousands. There are popowii to bloom in the same place in a month or so. They're only in the dozens, but longifolium is literally in the thousands
Mmosa pubescens are everywhere. There are literally millions of Epi. radicans

I would love to see popowii in-situ, so be sure to take some pictures if you can!

Robert

I was in the mountains today and took a few photos. Here's another longifolium
The mountain shot is to show the extremes we have here in paradise. It was taken at Quijada Diablo. Note the lush green of the north side of th valley, the spur left bottom, and across to the dry side.
It rained lower 3 days ago and the brown is already gone lower. I was on the bus and couldn't get a shot. It amazes me how fast that brown is gone when the riny season arrives.

Attachments

• phrg 3 1.jpg
    phrg 3 1.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 29
  • mtn 2.JPG
    mtn 2.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 26

Latest posts

Back