Phrag leaf tip problem

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...Eric, I've been reading elsewhere about washing CHC as well, and I must confess I did not do it to the extent others have recommended (although I did rinse it). The most interesting explanation I heard recently was that the coconut husk acts as a filter for salt water before the plant absorbs it...not sure how that would work for a whole palm tree, but whatever, maybe I misunderstood (first time, lol!). The new roots on my plants certainly seemed "attached" to it!

I could be wrong, but I understood that the folks who harvest coconuts wash the hulls in saltwater.

Lol, Eric! I didn't mean non-blooming, I meant NEVER blooming!

Raises an interesting question...what percentage of your plants are in bloom at any given time?

@ Dot, yeah, I probably didn't have that story correct!

Oh, I know what you meant. I have a bunch of mature phrags and paphs I've had for years and they haven't bloomed yet. With my luck I'd sell/trade them away and they'd bloom awards for someone else! :(

I haven't seen any connection between phrag root growth and leaf tip browning. I find my phrags have heavy root growth regardless of foliage appearance...even when they haven't been repotted in 4 years and the medium has turned into muck. I have found leaf tip browning to be an individual thing....one plant does it, and will always do it, other plants in the same conditions will never get it. But I have found CHC the kiss of death for phrags, an otherwise hard to kill group. And I have always soaked CHC ad infinitum.....

Back