Phrag Grande var microchilum !!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilda

Reaction score
North East Tennessee, Z6 , Sunroom, flourecent lig
This is the second blooming this year !! First in the Spring and now :clap: It is named Grande var microchilum which someone said was now something else, but I forgot to change the tag.

DSCI0516JPG.jpg

I have this cross as well but my label said it was awarded an AM/AOS. only flowered it once though, 2 springs ago, seems like a distant memory now, it's growing nicely though.

Forrest

Dear Gilda,
the official name is now
Phrag. Microchilum,
because Phrag. lindenii is now accepted in the registration of hybrids by the RHS

Really a wonderful plant

Best greetings

Olaf

I have this cross as well but my label said it was awarded an AM/AOS. only flowered it once though, 2 springs ago, seems like a distant memory now, it's growing nicely though.

Forrest

I didn't even realize it until now but the one I was referring to is P. Grande 'Macrochilum' AM/AOS not micro, my mistake.

Forrest

I didn't even realize it until now but the one I was referring to is P. Grande 'Macrochilum' AM/AOS not micro, my mistake.

Forrest

Yes it is Macrochilum... Not micro...
There is a theory to explain why lindenii in evolution did lose their pouch...It was because the pouch was too big and the one who develop the pouch broke down that’s bring back the petals… In hybridising the use lindenii should bring larger pouches than a normal crosses (?)... It is that why they call it Grande Macrochillum... I did wait for many crosses using lindenii to prove that theory... Very interesting!

Last edited:
How beautiful... This made my night. It wasn't going well until now. :) Thank you...:wink:

Please excuse that I did not notice the mistake
Phrag. Macorchilum is correct.

The first time when this hybrid flowered, it was described in
‚The Gardeners' Chronicle’ 19th. of September 1891: 343
CYPRIPEDIUM MACROCHILUM,
n. grd. hyb. (Longifolium X Lindenii )
This new production of Messrs. J. Veitch & Sons, and which was awarded a First-class Certificate at the Royal Horticultural Society, on August 11 this year, is one of the most extraordianry which the skill of the hybridiser has yet produced. Using the pollen of the practically pouchless C. (Uropedium) Lindenii on C. longifolium , the unexpected result in the progeny of an extraordinarily large and elongated labellum or pouch, as seen in the illustration (fig. 40) was produced. The plant has the usual bright green leaves of the Selenipedium section of Cypripedium, and the one from which the illustration was taken had a four-flowered scape. The upper sepal is creamy-white, slightly tinges with green, and having greenish lines thereon, the lower sepals are similar to the upper. The petals, which resmble those of C. caudatum, have purple hairs at the base; they are greenish-white, tinged and streaked with rose-colour and deepening in hue towards the tips. The staminode has a fringe of purple hairs, and the labellum which forms the striking feature in the flower is ivory-white, tinged in places with pale green, and the veining coloured, and between them tinged with reddish-brown. The labellum is curved forward, and its unfolded lobes are white, beautifully spotted with rose. In delicacy of beauty, if not in stature, it takes rank above even its ally, the stately and favourite C. grande x (C. longifolium var. X C. caudatum). J. O'B.

Best greetings

Olaf

Please excuse that I did not notice the mistake
Phrag. Macorchilum is correct.

The first time when this hybrid flowered, it was described in
‚The Gardeners' Chronicle’ 19th. of September 1891: 343
CYPRIPEDIUM MACROCHILUM,
n. grd. hyb. (Longifolium X Lindenii )
This new production of Messrs. J. Veitch & Sons, and which was awarded a First-class Certificate at the Royal Horticultural Society, on August 11 this year, is one of the most extraordianry which the skill of the hybridiser has yet produced. Using the pollen of the practically pouchless C. (Uropedium) Lindenii on C. longifolium , the unexpected result in the progeny of an extraordinarily large and elongated labellum or pouch, as seen in the illustration (fig. 40) was produced. The plant has the usual bright green leaves of the Selenipedium section of Cypripedium, and the one from which the illustration was taken had a four-flowered scape. The upper sepal is creamy-white, slightly tinges with green, and having greenish lines thereon, the lower sepals are similar to the upper. The petals, which resmble those of C. caudatum, have purple hairs at the base; they are greenish-white, tinged and streaked with rose-colour and deepening in hue towards the tips. The staminode has a fringe of purple hairs, and the labellum which forms the striking feature in the flower is ivory-white, tinged in places with pale green, and the veining coloured, and between them tinged with reddish-brown. The labellum is curved forward, and its unfolded lobes are white, beautifully spotted with rose. In delicacy of beauty, if not in stature, it takes rank above even its ally, the stately and favourite C. grande x (C. longifolium var. X C. caudatum). J. O'B.

Best greetings

Olaf

I think it is really too late to write here (1.30) so I made again a mistake
Correct is

Phragmipedium Macrochilum

Back