Quantcast

Phrag. Don Wimber

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

SlipperFan

Addicted
Joined
Jun 10, 2006
Messages
43,287
Reaction score
14
Location
Michigan, USA
This red Don Wimber (Eric Young x besseae) has been begging me to take it home for the past two weeks, so I did...

 

Hien

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2007
Messages
2,411
Reaction score
61
SlipperFan said:
This red Don Wimber (Eric Young x besseae) has been begging me to take it home for the past two weeks, so I did...

It took 2 long weeks?
You really play hard to get.:p
 
G

Grandma M

Guest
Dot

If I had been in Porters during that two week period, it would be in my house. I love the color.
 

e-spice

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2006
Messages
2,521
Reaction score
55
Location
Knoxville, TN
It is very pretty. Are you sure it wasn't mislabeled though? Don Wimbers usually have a certain look to them and yours, while beautiful, looks a little different. It almost looks like it has a tiny bit of schlimii or fischerii in its background.

e-spice
 

SlipperFan

Addicted
Joined
Jun 10, 2006
Messages
43,287
Reaction score
14
Location
Michigan, USA
slippertalker said:
Is this a tetraploid Don Wimber?
I don't know -- the tag didn't say so. But I wouldn't be surprised. The flower is not bigger than other Don Wimber's I've seen, but it is as red as any, and the petals are wider than most I've seen.
 

SlipperFan

Addicted
Joined
Jun 10, 2006
Messages
43,287
Reaction score
14
Location
Michigan, USA
e-spice said:
It is very pretty. Are you sure it wasn't mislabeled though? Don Wimbers usually have a certain look to them and yours, while beautiful, looks a little different. It almost looks like it has a tiny bit of schlimii or fischerii in its background.

e-spice
One can never say for certain, I suppose, But I'm pretty sure it's Don. I thought of it as a DW when it first opened, before I read the tag. For comparison:
http://www.orchidsinourtropics.com/uploads/G2b04FJaoyl3o1w40MMpBA/PhragDWGillianam.jpg
http://www.slipperorchids.info/phragcomplex/PhragDonWimber8.jpg
 

slippertalker

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2006
Messages
962
Reaction score
0
Location
Seattle, Wa.
SlipperFan said:
I don't know -- the tag didn't say so. But I wouldn't be surprised. The flower is not bigger than other Don Wimber's I've seen, but it is as red as any, and the petals are wider than most I've seen.
The tetraploid Don Wimbers show more besseae influence from the tetra besseae. The basic effect is minimizing the midrib and giving the flower more color. The flowers are fuller also, and some are larger.
 
Top