Phrag. Don Wimber

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
This red Don Wimber (Eric Young x besseae) has been begging me to take it home for the past two weeks, so I did...

Phrag_DonWimber-red.jpg

SlipperFan said:
This red Don Wimber (Eric Young x besseae) has been begging me to take it home for the past two weeks, so I did...

Phrag_DonWimber-red.jpg
It took 2 long weeks?
You really play hard to get.:p

Dot

If I had been in Porters during that two week period, it would be in my house. I love the color.

It is very pretty. Are you sure it wasn't mislabeled though? Don Wimbers usually have a certain look to them and yours, while beautiful, looks a little different. It almost looks like it has a tiny bit of schlimii or fischerii in its background.

e-spice

slippertalker said:
Is this a tetraploid Don Wimber?
I don't know -- the tag didn't say so. But I wouldn't be surprised. The flower is not bigger than other Don Wimber's I've seen, but it is as red as any, and the petals are wider than most I've seen.

e-spice said:
It is very pretty. Are you sure it wasn't mislabeled though? Don Wimbers usually have a certain look to them and yours, while beautiful, looks a little different. It almost looks like it has a tiny bit of schlimii or fischerii in its background.

e-spice
One can never say for certain, I suppose, But I'm pretty sure it's Don. I thought of it as a DW when it first opened, before I read the tag. For comparison:
http://www.orchidsinourtropics.com/uploads/G2b04FJaoyl3o1w40MMpBA/PhragDWGillianam.jpg
http://www.slipperorchids.info/phragcomplex/PhragDonWimber8.jpg

SlipperFan said:
I don't know -- the tag didn't say so. But I wouldn't be surprised. The flower is not bigger than other Don Wimber's I've seen, but it is as red as any, and the petals are wider than most I've seen.

The tetraploid Don Wimbers show more besseae influence from the tetra besseae. The basic effect is minimizing the midrib and giving the flower more color. The flowers are fuller also, and some are larger.

Latest posts

Back