Phrag caudatum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
Flowering for the 2nd time for me. An extremely compact form of caudatum. The friend who gave it to me said this plant is an extremely small clone that never seems to get any bigger than this. I got two flowers last time, but only the one flower this time.

caudatum%202018.jpg

caudatum%202018%202.jpg

Compact plant? I'd love to take on it!

David, what medium do you use on this?
Light and temperature range?
Is that pot 15cm diameter?

Thanks for the correction. I'm not really up to speed with the latest Phrag taxonomy. These long petals Phrags are all caudatum's to me. :)

Compact plant? I'd love to take on it!

David, what medium do you use on this?
Light and temperature range?
Is that pot 15cm diameter?

That pot is 10 cm diameter. The whole plant is only 25 cm across.

I just grow it in Orchiata 9-12 mm bark.

The temperature range is from a minimum of 16oC to maximums over 30oC. Light is hard to say. I grow them next to my multi-floral Paphs.

The caudatum complex is a confusing mess, but the way I approach it is ...

If it's small and/or slender in stature, it's one of the following:

• P. humboldtii (formerly P. warscewiczianum, sometimes P. popowii) has dark flowers.
  • P. exstaminodium has dark flowers but no staminode.
  • P. warscewiczianum (formerly P. wallisii) has pale flowers.
  • P. lindenii has pale flowers but no pouch (3 long petals instead).

Otherwise, everything else encompassing medium to large plants with pale to colorful flowers is lumped into P. caudatum, with several varieties like sanderae and giganteum.

Obviously size and flower color aren't the defining factors in how these are classified, but they're a good guide if you know you're looking at a species as opposed to a hybrid.

The caudatum complex is a confusing mess, but the way I approach it is ...

If it's small and/or slender in stature, it's one of the following:

• P. humboldtii (formerly P. warscewiczianum, sometimes P. popowii) has dark flowers.
  • P. exstaminodium has dark flowers but no staminode.
  • P. warscewiczianum (formerly P. wallisii) has pale flowers.
  • P. lindenii has pale flowers but no pouch (3 long petals instead).

Otherwise, everything else encompassing medium to large plants with pale to colorful flowers is lumped into P. caudatum, with several varieties like sanderae and giganteum.

Obviously size and flower color aren't the defining factors in how these are classified, but they're a good guide if you know you're looking at a species as opposed to a hybrid.

Thanks for the explanation.

Flowering for the 2nd time for me. An extremely compact form of caudatum. The friend who gave it to me said this plant is an extremely small clone that never seems to get any bigger than this. I got two flowers last time, but only the one flower this time.

caudatum%202018.jpg

caudatum%202018%202.jpg
For me Phrag. Popowi. Beautiful flower.

Enviado desde mi SM-G955F mediante Tapatalk

For me Phrag. Popowi. Beautiful flower.

Now called subgenus phragmipedium, no longer caudatum and includes: P. caudatum, popowii, exstaminodium, warszewiczianum, lindenii and guianense. All other names are synonyms.

Latest posts

Back