Phrag.cardinale

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you sure its Cardinale? I've never seen one with pink petals and dorsal.

Dot,

This is the tag for this Phrag.,source is Piping Rock where he describes as with pink flower. Frankly,if a cardinale hit me in the eye,I wouldn't know the difference,:D so I have to take his word for it and love the little pink flowers.

It's very pretty -- I'd buy it in an instant. I've seen photos of Cardinale flowers with pinkish petals and dorsal, but the pouches are all much deeper in color.

Does anyone else have doubts about the name on the tag?

I am doubtful as well, Dot. However, don't forget that we mostly see division of a handful of famous, awarded clones. I have to honestly say that while I've seen and grown hundreds of Cardinale, they've all be bits of just a few different plants. So, genetic diversity being what it is, if this plant was actually produced by crossing a true Sedenii (many plants are mislabelled as Sedenii!) and schlimii, the extra pink on the petals and lighter pink pouch could still be possible. The angle of the photo is very odd, though. I could not say more about this flower without seeing a better photo....more flat on than from above looking down.

This is mine. Bloomed in Jan - Feb. almost the same. The same source, same name.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 28
Ah, that one does look more like the Cardinale that I'm used to seeing; but, there are enough differences to make it clear that it's not one of the usual clones. The extra pink of the petals and dorsal sepal in particular is something new. So, Glen Decker remade the cross and what we're seeing is some of the genetic diversity. Interesting.

Dot, I think that we need to remember that a lot of the "different" clones of Cardinale that we're used to seeing are actually just divisions of the original so-called schlimii "Wilcox", which has been correctly identified as Cardinale; but, unfortunately given new clonal names and awarded over and over. In actuality, they're all the same clone, which is of course, just one out of a pool of possibly hundreds of thousands of siblings that could've come from the original seed capsule that produced the "Wilcox" clone.

So now, after seeing Ba Thong's photo of a sibling of the first posted flower and knowing that Glen remade the cross, rather than chopped up a monster plant and began selling divisions, I'm more confident that this is actually Cardinale. It's just a new clone.....a rarity in the orchid world. That 'Wilcox' clone (and all the other incarnations of the same plant), is VERY vigorous. Normally, a vendor can produce enough bits to sell just by growing a plant for a few years and then making divisions. Since all the pieces normally available, regardless of their name, have an award, why bother to remake the cross? Kudos to Glen for remaking the cross and giving us an opportunity to see and own something different.

Latest posts

Back