Phrag. besseae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s beautiful. Also love growing this plant. I stumbled into one from Ecugenera at our local orchid show last April, I stopped by their booth after they did a presentation on their besseae program. I had never even heard of it, having grown orchids for less than 8 mos. Best $25 I’ve spent in the orchid world! It has bloomed maybe 12-15 times on several different spikes. It is spiking again now.

The flower on mine does not look as nice as yours though. Your petals are wider and redder just to start.

That plant really got me into phrags; that and availability of inexpensive divisions I stumbled into. I have some very exciting kovachii and besseae hybrids in spike or bloom now. It’s exciting for me because I’ve only flowered the besseae, and these are giant versions of them with multiple spikes and bud upon bud.... they just rocketed up over February while I was traveling. Then besseae spiked again last week. Now waiting on big multi floral Paph hybrid from Fred clarke.

phrags are not great plants to have when traveling so much. My wife is a gem. I just put blank orange tags in them and say water every other day. So far our well water 100ppm seems fine.

Latest posts

Back