Phrag. besseae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

orchideya

Phrag. besseae that I got from John_M with bud now bloomed:

phrag_beseae2.jpg

phrag_beseae.jpg

I am thrilled. I want more besseaes...

Holy cow!!!!! It didn't have such round petals for me!!!!! What did you do?!!! WOW! I AM impressed with the quality of this flower. The first two on that stem didn't look like that. They were nicely shaped with good colour...yes; but, they were not that round. You've brought out the best form. Well done! :clap:

This is really bad for me, these lovely pictures make me wanna get a lot of besseae and its hydrids!
Very nice.

Thank you everybody! I am glad you like the bloom.
I didn't really do anything, I just had this plant for couple weeks, so no credit to me for getting such nice flower.
I water it every day with rain water and keep the pot in the saucer with rain water that I change every day.
I think it likes it here because it now started to grow a next bud and look at new roots, they weren't there when I received it:

phrag_besseae.jpg

By the way, the other new phrag - Eric Young is getting reagy to bloom too:

phrag_eric_young_spike.jpg

If everything goes like this until the spring shipping season- I will be doing some serious shopping in the phrags department. :)

I love to see new roots emerging like that. It makes me feel like I'm doing something right......and I like that feeling. The rain water is different from what I do. I use water from a nearby stream and R.O. water. However, I used to use rain water and if I had the means to collect it now, I'd perfer to use it exclusively. Rain water has always produced the best plants and flowers for me. There's something about it that seems to work like magic on the plants.

Oh I wish I could get mine to do something! It has been growing three new growths....but not roots yet...and not signs of flowering. I'm growing mine in hydroton with some sphagnum in my aquaponics system

Denverpaphman, mine is potted in the mix that appears as mostly perlite with some rocks and small amount of bark pieces. It came like that from John and I keep it that way. I also ammended Eric Young mix to be similar.
Here is how the mix looks:

phrag_besseae_roots.jpg

Both mine are growing roots nicely. Can it be the temperature thing? Mine are quite warm: 25C day, 20-22C night.

Back