Phrag besseae 'Mega' x self

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice. If you have any you need to get rid of... Yay besseae! Do you have snow?
I have but 5 left, and 1 is growing weird. The first one that bloomed is in spike so maybe that'll be nice and strong on its second growth.

We got 4" of snow. Barely an inconvenience. It's gonna be around a while as cold warnings keep popping up on my phone.
Holy crap you bloomed one that doesn't suck!
I thought it was Mega x Zephyrus Mega that was producing the abominations? Or are the Mega selfings doing it too?

I would sibling cross the best ones. There is slightly less chance of concentrating bad genes... Unless we know this one has already been through several rounds of welding and the bad genes have been weeded out.
Thanks! 'Mega' is the best of the besseae from OZ's like breeding. It must have been through several generations of breeding already, although there's no way to know how many without a direct line to Terry Root's brain.

I thought it was recommended to self the best one so you can see what you really have to build on.
I don't really know.

Inbreeding can concentrate mutant alleles. To my mind crossing two of the best reduces the risk of homozygous bad alleles.

But if the plant has been line bred through generations with strong selection against bad alleles any advantage from an outcross is too small to be worth it as you run the risk of diluting the good alleles you want.

If this is the result of generations of line breeding then, IMHO, self the plants.

Latest posts

Back