Phrag besseae growing habit

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjkOC

Reaction score
Hi all, I just started growing Phrag besseae. It is a single growth in a 4.5" pot with a leaf span of 26 cm (~10 in). The leaves are a light spring green color.

I am wondering if subsequent growths cluster around the first fan, or do they sprout some distance away? How large can a besseae specimen plant become? Thank you for sharing your advice and comments!

Well I have a division of Mem. Dick Clements which is a besseae hybrid and it tends to do both. New growths will form on the base of old growths. But it also tends to produce stolons that grow up a bit and then develop into a new growth.

besseae is a known climber and can be challenging when they get to be mutli-growth plants as subsequent growths climb higher and higher from the pot. Not all clones do this, but it's pretty typical. the variety d'alessandroi is more tame in its growth habit. Maybe someone can dredge up an old thread about it?

Non-stolonous besseae clones and hybrids

Are there any besseae clones and/or hybrids that anyone has experience that does NOT have the stoloniferous growth habit? I would like to find a red hybrid, but an intense pink would also be nice.

I welcome all suggestions! Thank you!!!

I'm not sure if there are non climbing clones, or if someone just lucked into a growing condition that got the plant to stay in the pot.

Latest posts

Back