Phrag. Fritz Schomburg 3N

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This Fritz Schomburg was created by Orchids Limited as (besseae ‘Rob’s Choice’ x kovachii ‘Tessoro Morado’).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/45750268@N03/shares/1W27T5

Phrag besseae ‘Rob’s Choice’ is one of the best tetraploid besseae and kovachii ‘Tessoro Morado’ is what OL thinks is their best kovachii. Jerry Fischer mentioned to me once that he thought ‘Tessoro Morado’ might be tetraploid, but I don’t think they have confirmed this. This Fritz Schomburg is thus at least a triploid.

The NS of the petals on this first blooming of the plant is about 10 cm and the flower remains flat. The first flower lasted more than two weeks and there are at least 3 blooms for this flowering. Optimistically, the next several flowerings of this plant might add 1-2 cm to the size.

Orchids Limited has bloomed a hand-full of these and had an individual plant for sale about a month ago at this page.

https://www.orchidweb.com/products/phrag-fritz-schomburg-3n-first-bloom-individual-3317-~4160.html

Other pictures are available at the following link on their website where plants may still be purchased.

https://www.orchidweb.com/products/phrag-fritz-schomburg-3n-~3961.html

The kovachii hybrids with 50% or more besseae have been:

Fritz Schomburg (Piping Rock, 2007) - k=50%, b=50%
Perusian Sunrise (H.P. Norton, 2010) - k=25%, b=62.5%, schlimii=12.5%
Kyle Quintal (Piping Rock, 2012) - k=25%, b=68.75%, schlimii=6.25%
Robert Jan-Quene (Orchids Limited, 2013 - k=25%, b=75%
Jerry Lee Fischer (Orchids Limited, 2014) - k=25%, b=50%, longifolium=25%
Vingtaine de Grantez (E. Young O.F., 2015) - k=25%, b=62.5%, sargentianum=12.5%

In general, the greater the percentage of besseae, the rounder, but smaller the flower becomes. Obviously, the particular parents have an important influence.

I suspect that the goal of round, flat, kovachii hybrids has about hit the wall with the above group of hybrids once they are made with the best available parents (including tetraploids). I would guess that it will be extremely difficult to get a round, flat, kovachii hybrid that is ≥ 14 cm in NS, but ideal growing conditions with a mature, multi growth plant may be able to push this.

Larger sized kovachii hybrids will need to embrace non-round, non-flat, curved petal flowers. No reason that such flowers can’t be just as attractive in their own right. I have several of these types of kovachii hybrids and like them very much.

Very nice, but one quick question...
Are you a salesman for the Fischers? Perhaps I missed something, but did you bloom this, or....????

By no means do I sell for OL!! I am simply a very long term customer of theirs. I have bought all of my Paphs and Phrags from them or Tom Kalina to be loyal to the part of the country where I live (Minnesota). I bought this plant as a seedling and grew and bloomed all by my lonesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Latest posts

Back