Phrag. besseae 'Carlisle'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
000_0002-2Phragbesseaeindish_zps9010b903.jpg

John, do you have any idea what the fern species is growing alongside this besseae? It's very nice and looks like it could be an Elaphoglossum species (ie not a typical greenhouse weed)

No, I have no idea what the fern is. They just showed up in my greenhouse years ago. A nice one is very beautiful; but, they volunteer too much and they've killed a lot of seedlings and small, slower growing orchids. That one in the pot was planted there by me as an attractive accent. However, a year later I had to cut it out as it was growing too aggressively and crowding out the besseae.

Yes, Dot. The plants do better if they have room to "run", rather than coiled up tightly in a small pot.

I have seen that for other species/paphs as well. When potting up my flats of deflasked seedlings, I normally have to coil up the roots since they had been growing (crawling) rather extensively in the tray; which by the way is quite similar to those you use for bessae John. Tray growing is however too space consuming for most of us, my greenhouse is about to burst now. If those Roths (100 approx) grow more, it will get serious!!!:sob:

I have seen that for other species/paphs as well. When potting up my flats of deflasked seedlings, I normally have to coil up the roots since they had been growing (crawling) rather extensively in the tray; which by the way is quite similar to those you use for bessae John. Tray growing is however too space consuming for most of us, my greenhouse is about to burst now. If those Roths (100 approx) grow more, it will get serious!!!:sob:
You could always send a few of them to me, let me 'care' for them awhile, and then I'll send them back after they've shrunk a bit. :rollhappy:

Back