Phrag. besseae 'Carlisle'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
My best besseae. :)

35091.jpg

35092.jpg

35093.jpg

35094.jpg

Are you growing it in a tray, with others? Or is it your way to get around the climbing?

Is that one whole plant or several in the same...eh...pot?

Absolutely love that saturated red. Oh, and the shape. Almost forgot about that one.

Thanks everyone!

Are you growing it in a tray, with others? Or is it your way to get around the climbing?

It's all one clone and until very recently, it was all one plant (there were even 3 more BS growths in the tray, all attached by the branching rhizome); but, I have cut the rhizome to encourage more new growths to sell and removed the 3 growths to a different pot. It's growing in a carrying tray (11" x 20" x 2" deep). Substrate is CHC and pea gravel. Yes, this is how to deal with the climbing habit in besseae. When in a 4" - 5" pot, they send their rhizomes straight up. When they're in large, shallow trays, the rhizomes go out horizontally and old, back growths tend to produce extra new growths more easily. [You can see two new starts inbetween the two oldest growths. Although, I did cut the rhizome between them and the front part of the plant to encourage the extra back growths to start up.] The plant will be repotted in the spring and the front and back divisions will be potted in separate trays; or, the back division there now will be divided again and each bit given it's own tray. Somehow, the plant's roots can sense when they're able to "run", as opposed to curling up tightly in a small pot. When the roots can run, the plants are happiest.

I've already removed a 3 growth piece (one old growth + 2 lead growths). You can see a big void on the left side, inbetween the oldest growths and the blooming one. That's where the other 3 growths came from. The division is for sale....:poke:

Hmm... Maybe I should try something similar with my Green Hornet since it likes to get new growths above the substrate.

I suppose you do have some sort of drainage in the tray, drilled holes maybe?

Thanks everyone.

Yes, the trays come from the manufacturer with lots of drainage holes already present. I water this tray OFTEN. If it's not sopping wet, I water it. All the excess drains out; so, there's still lost of air getting into the mix too.

Here's the 3 growth division that I removed from the tray. I put it into a large, plastic vegetable bowl (with a drainage hole drilled in the bottom, of course); but, I chose poorly. That bowl is too small. I need to move this division up into something MUCH bigger in the spring.
2014-12-01027-2PhragbesseaeCarlisledivisionforsale_zps973ee2b3.jpg

Latest posts

Back