Phalaenopsis stuartiana var. nobilis opening up

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Niel you are too funny. I have pots of Phals at home that I rescued from the trash. It would be better if you just put your throw-aways in a box and have me come over to Roosevelt Island and get them.

I know, Eric, but it's just me. I'm all paranoid about diseases (especially uncurable virus) spreading to my plants, so I tend to dump things out if in doubt for any reason.

Rescuing plants is unthinkable to me as I have no idea how they had been handled by previous owners and what kind of health they are in.
Again, that's just me.

I do not give away plants that I throw away to anyone. I don't want anyone to pick it up. I just don't. Again, that's just me.

I don't even want other people touch my plants. I just find it highly annoying and potentially dangerous. What would those hands carry?
I know it might just not matter, but I can't help. lol

I do sell, raffle off, or give away plants I don't want, but only if they are something I consider "safe".

Now, I'm looking forward to my new Phal schillariana! A bit worried as I don't like mail order that much. There have been "surprises" which I hate.
I love to pick out my own at nursery visits. That way, I know what I'm getting and no one to blame but myself.

I wouldn't name names, but some people thought I was mental after discovering how picky I am, but then once they saw my plants and how "clean" they are, they just shut up. hahaha

Unfortunately, most phals from supermarkets, big box stores, home improvements stores, are likely virused...

Pretty much most of the Classic Cattleyas are as well. I treat everything in my GH as if it could be virused. Torching my scissors in between plants and keeping the sucking insects at bay, and I never reuse pots. I have seen some vendor GHs that you know they don't take precautions and been to some that are super clean. I knew someone who tested his whole collection and 70% of them tested positive for a virus or two.

Unfortunately, most phals from supermarkets, big box stores, home improvements stores, are likely virused...

I wouldn't say that, because I know some people who had tons of those phals, and tested. Majority came out negative for the two most commonly suspected viruses.

I no longer buy those phals anyway. so no worries for those for me. haha

Pretty much most of the Classic Cattleyas are as well. I treat everything in my GH as if it could be virused. Torching my scissors in between plants and keeping the sucking insects at bay, and I never reuse pots. I have seen some vendor GHs that you know they don't take precautions and been to some that are super clean. I knew someone who tested his whole collection and 70% of them tested positive for a virus or two.

Yes, I read about a nursery that had to basically shut down everything and start over.
I think they are back with viruses and stopped caring any more, unfortunately. won't say who.

Yes, I read about a nursery that had to basically shut down everything and start over.
I think they are back with viruses and stopped caring any more, unfortunately. won't say who.

I heard stories of the old Waldor Orchids and RF Orchids back in the day. They would use the same scissors on every plant in the GH if they could. I know 3 I have been in and don't by from that come with company. Hints- One is south of me in MD and the other is a Cattleya Expert and wrote a book on culture.I left there and had scale all over me lol.

Old Waldor as in how long back??
I know they are still big on Cattleyas, and many traditionally Cattleya-focused nurseries had viruses as they didn't know back in the day and the cut flower of Cattleyas used to be the money maker.

Visiting nurseries and seeing their plants and overall conditions really give great insight.

I am happy that I mostly grow paphiopedilums and now even this group, I am wanting to switch to flasks or young seedlings from people that I am comfortable with.

Here is a seedling with good color. It's deep yellow in person. Form isn't great
We have a new nice clone from Taiwan that seem to have good form. Time will tell if it's a good grower.

e68447c99f5aaf9b8218ab323c9ed8ab.jpg

That is a lemon yellow, if the photo shows the color correctly.
It is nice. Most I see are buttery ( can't think of anything else) yellow, which is also nice.

My Phal. philippinensis also had flowers opening up ruffly like that, two.

That red phal is nice, by the way.
Is it fragrant??

I have seen lots with clean cut edge.

I'm sure inbreeding might cause inferior flowers too but there was a study done on phalaenopsis.
ORSV caused deformity of various types on phalaenopsis, the studies plants were the large white flowering hybrid.

Either case, it wasn't worth keeping for me.

Latest posts

Back