Phal. schilleriana purpurea 'Pink Princess' HCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking as an AOS judge, Roberts question is a good one. Others are right that there is no way to prove that an orchid is 2n or 4n without a chromosome count, so without this knowledge, we have to judge what we see. 4n is very commonplace now with Cattleya hybrids, and we really don't make a distinction in judging.
We are now starting to see more tetraploid versions of species and I think as more get awarded, the diploid forms will no longer be considered for quality awards. This has happened with Sophronitis coccinea. When is the last time a 2n form received an award?
Although size is usually 10 points, the size of segments is also a factor in other scoring points such as form. 4n can also increase fullness and substance, and also color intensity.
We are now starting to see 4n forms of Aerangis luteo alba. It will be soon that 2n forms will no longer be awarded! Same with C. aclandiae, C. amethystoglossa, etc.

Lastly, regarding Robert's comment of judges questioning species validity, AOS judges can request that the plant be identified by an expert before an award is officially recorded.

Hope that sheds some light about the challenges of AOS judging!

Pete

I totally Agree!!! A judge should never screen a plant just because one think it is not what it seems to that person. The judges should judge what they see and let the taxonomist do their job and that is what the AOS rule on this.

Ramon:)

Ramon

Robert, that is one beautiful schillerianum.

Pete & Ernie, I agree with you guys. As to segregating polyploids for judging; not possible. Robert Q is likely the only one here, or one of a very, very few, that sits down in front of a research grade microscope and counts chromosomes. No way AOS judges could separate various ploydy counts from each other at a judging session. Virtually 99% of the growers, who make the claim that this plant or that plant is a polyploid are actually guessing. They simply do not have the chromosome count necessary to be certain. Now often a grower can make a good guess, but until one actually does the count, it is not correct to state that a plant is a particular ploidy number. Better statement would be to say, this plant is likely a 4N, rather than it IS 4N. I know, nitpicking, but it is the practical reason that it is unreasonable to expect AOS judges to separate polyploids from the diploids.

Leo,

As a fun aside, Bill Rogerson actually approached me about screening his Cattleya seedlings for ploidy. He said the person that used to do his lab work would screen them based on stomata diameter. Within a given population, he could predict with near 100% accuracy which would be polyploid (not necessarily 3N, 4N, etc). That guy retired, and Bill wants me to trian myself to do this for him so i can take his money. I think I could do it, and I have the equipment. Unfortunately, I don't have time. With this method, you'd need a 2N control or large population of mixed to compare against.

-Ernie

Leo,

As a fun aside, Bill Rogerson actually approached me about screening his Cattleya seedlings for ploidy. He said the person that used to do his lab work would screen them based on stomata diameter. Within a given population, he could predict with near 100% accuracy which would be polyploid (not necessarily 3N, 4N, etc). That guy retired, and Bill wants me to trian myself to do this for him so i can take his money. I think I could do it, and I have the equipment. Unfortunately, I don't have time. With this method, you'd need a 2N control or large population of mixed to compare against.

-Ernie

I know HP Norton also uses the guard cell measurements to identify the polyploids. If you have a grex specific reference set of measurements you can separate 2N from 3N from 4N. The measurements jump nicely with each level of ploidy. BUT you can't be certain about aneuploids, they fall inbetween. Guard cell measurements are definitely a good relatively inexpensive way to guess at ploidy number. At least with guard cell measurements it becomes an informed guess as to ploidy. You still need a decent quality disecting scope with the measurement scale built into one of the ocular lenses. They are cheaper than what you would need for chromosome counts, but still are not very cheap.

Leo,

-Ernie

Guard cells is of no meaning, unfortunately... I tried that and compared to hardcore chromosome counting, and it is not reliable. As for the 4n 2n etc... there are naturals 4n plants of many species around, so to mention it for judging would be quite useless...

Schilleriana, I have never seen a Philippine schilleriana like the Pink Princess, that's definitely a good 4n.

On the other side, I have seen schilleriana from Sabah, mine are going to bloom now. They are distinctive, as some have nearly no mottling of the leaves, branching spikes, and funnier, they make real stolons, like a very large flower spike with a plant at the tip... It could well be the 2n ancester of those ones. Sabah gets a lot of species that are similar to the Philippines, but usually of much better quality. Paph philippinense, haynaldianum, schilleriana, amabilis, etc...

Guard cells is of no meaning, unfortunately...

Fair enough, but tell that to Bill and the guy that used to flask for him. He was nearly 100% in IDing 2n's versus polyploids. I have not done it, but I've seen Bill's plants and do not doubt the results of his ploidy sorting. Maybe it's easier/more reliable for the Cattleya alliance (which Bill grows)? Maybe he trashed the ones he wasn't sure about. :)

-Ernie

Latest posts

Back