Phal schilleriana and stuartiana

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigleaf

Reaction score
Phalaenopsis stuartiana 'Sogo' HCC/AOS
Phal_stuartiana_Sogo_20110302.JPG

Phalaenopsis schilleriana and Phalaenopsis aphrodite subsp formosana
Phal_schilleriana_20110302.JPG

Those are great specimens of these phales:clap::clap:

How long have you been growing the stuartiana?

Your schileriana cracks me up, with the hanging wires to support the spike! I have a big one too, and the spikes get so long I have to tie them up to various things to keep them out of the way.

Thank you. I have this Phal stuartiana 'Sogo' since June 2007. It was a mature size plant then. I mounted this plant because this species doesn't like to have its roots stay wet for too long. Nonetheless, the crown somehow died - although not visible as crown rot. It developed two basal keiki which flowered.

Peter, have you had good success growing species phals in tree fern pots hanging sideways, as the stuartiana above? I have quite a few species phals growing in various media, and have considered moving them to hanging tree fern pots.

Peter, have you had good success growing species phals in tree fern pots hanging sideways, as the stuartiana above? I have quite a few species phals growing in various media, and have considered moving them to hanging tree fern pots.

I haven't had phalaenopsis in tree fern pots mainly because of they are not easily accessible and cost is high. I would use tree fern pot for big species plants like Phal gigantea and faster growing species like Phal aphrodite subsp formosa 'Da Wu Mountain' pictured above. In just a few years Phal aphrodite subsp formosa 'Da Wu Mountain' have grown and most of its roots are exposed. This would call for wrapping more moss to keep the roots moist or more frequent watering. So species that are more forgiving to have wet roots longer would be ones I potted in a pot.

Phal stuartiana tends to rot its root so it's more suited for tree fern. Besides, you get keiki growing out of the roots so they are best exposed.

This came from Norman's orchids last November. fragrant big flowers. 10 cm NS. Plant is huge too. 16-20 inches leaf span.

Phal schilleriana 'MA#2' AM/AOS
Phal_schilleriana_Ma2_20110303.JPG

Back