Passion for Passion flowers - Passiflora lutea

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uh, well.....it's always nice to have the correct name, especially for a species. 'Glad that I could be of help! :rollhappy: ;)

So, this is a true tropical....I guess that's why my plant died in the freeze. It wasn't a hard freeze. The temp inside the greenhouse went down to only -1*C; but, it was enough to kill most of my tropical orchids and tender tropical house plants, like my pot of this Passiflora.

I went to the internet in part because I was trying to check just how cold P. lutea would tolerate. That's when I saw foliage photos. P. lutea flowers are much more green than P. citrina. I also realized I had mistated that I was the one to make the tag. The pot had a tag in it, and the tag (as lutea) was from the University of North Carolina, Botany Greenhouse. Yep, even the Botany Department got the label goofed up. I had visited on the weekend of their Fund raiser, and had bought it then. Still I see it as an easy mistake to make, when trying to remember a name to put on a label, to confuse lutea for citrina, both essentially mean yellow.

I also went to the net to check on edibility. As best I can tell, none of the Passiflora are poisonous, but some are not as palatable as others. A couple species have cyanogenic glycosides which make them unpleasant to eat. The amount of cyanide released would not be enough to poison a human, but they will make the fruit less than tasty. The foliage of some Passiflora have a number of interesting chemicals. Apparently the leaves of P. incarnata contain a fairly strong MAOI. Its folk medicine use is to make a mild sedative tea. Passiflora also have a good number of flavinoids, some fairly strong anti-oxidants. Worth a read if anyone gets interested.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passiflora

Latest posts

Back