Paphs on a rock wall (India)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just AWESOME! It certainly would/could be a challenge to grow this indoors, I can envision it at the back of the GH! :drool::drool:

i didnt know orchids could grow outdoors!!

Hello! Do you think the forests where they come from are equipped with polycarbonate roofing? :crazy: :p I grow outdoors..
I don't have any details but it appears that he lives in Sikkim.

:p You grow outdoors & probably have all your life but you have to cut us continental U.S. folks some slack, with our climate, this would have to be attempted indoors. Some parts of Florida might be able to get away with it.

I would love to see the details of how these wire baskets are actually attached. I could make a wall like this inside a house, nvm a greenhouse.

I would love to see the details of how these wire baskets are actually attached. I could make a wall like this inside a house, nvm a greenhouse.

There's several ways to attach the mess to cement. Tapcon screws, concrete anchor screws, liquid adhesive(like liquid nails), or imbedding the wire when the cement is poured.

Update from Mohan, this insigne wall is in flower now:

Insignemohan_zpsa8d07ce4.jpg

Wow. Time to reassess what I've been doing this past decade... Because apparently I've been doing it all wrong!

According to him, he uses wire mesh to make small pockets in which the paphs are planted with gravel and sphag. His fertiliser is calcium nitrate and micronutrients. The media is topped up every second year

Dang

No supplemental K or P.

And like a vertical basket culture!!

Awesome:drool::drool:

They would get lots of nutrients leaching down from above.

From above what Mike? Efficiency can't be greater than 100%

K and P are elements, and they can't be created from other elements (except maybe in a nuclear reactor). And since moss and lichens are not nuclear reactors, they can't leach more than what they need for themselves, or can pull out of the dust and water vapor in the air (which ain't much either).

Unless he lures hoards of birds to poop on the top of the wall.:evil:

Back