Paphiopedilum rothschildianum turns out to be a cuckoo's egg! id?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musa

Reaction score
Hello,
6 years ago I bought that Paph. as Paph. rothschildianum. Unfortunateley it now turns out to be a cuckoo's egg.
Please help me to identify it (if possible):

It looks a bit like St. Swithin but there are some differences.
Leavespan is 80 cm. The flowers are extremley narrow with a natural width of 5 - 7 cm and a total length of 25 - 29,5 cm.
The petals are strongly curved at the shoulders with a maximal length of 23 cm.
Sepalum and synsepalum are straightly aligned and very narrow, too, what makes the flowers a quite elegant. The dark maroon veins are bold.
The pouch is comparingly dark red.
The staminodium is yellowish and Roth-like.

Here are some fotos:

k IMG_2235 copy.jpg

k IMG_2241 copy.jpg

k IMG_2244 copy.jpg

k IMG_2247 copy.jpg

k IMG_2368 copy.jpg

k IMG_2371 copy.jpg

k IMG_2399 copy.jpg

In spite of being a fake roth. I like it. So thanks a lot for your help.

I'm no expert but to my eye I thought I could see P.philippense and P.sanderianum alongside P.roth at least. There could be so much variation in a cross between say Saint Swithin and PEOY that you'd never be able to I.D. it from sight - you'd only know if it was properly labelled. I like it though and would happily grow it.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your opinions!
It confirms my thoughts on it, but unfortunateley I still have to learn much about hybrids. Despite of being a multihybride I like it very much vor it's elegancy.

Thanks troy!
Might there be a bit of philippinense in it? The violet volour of the petals gave me the impression, however the pouch says otherwise, or is colour no relevant factor at all?

Back