Paphiopedilum rothschildianum turns out to be a cuckoo's egg! id?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musa

Reaction score
Hello,
6 years ago I bought that Paph. as Paph. rothschildianum. Unfortunateley it now turns out to be a cuckoo's egg.
Please help me to identify it (if possible):

It looks a bit like St. Swithin but there are some differences.
Leavespan is 80 cm. The flowers are extremley narrow with a natural width of 5 - 7 cm and a total length of 25 - 29,5 cm.
The petals are strongly curved at the shoulders with a maximal length of 23 cm.
Sepalum and synsepalum are straightly aligned and very narrow, too, what makes the flowers a quite elegant. The dark maroon veins are bold.
The pouch is comparingly dark red.
The staminodium is yellowish and Roth-like.

Here are some fotos:

k IMG_2235 copy.jpg

k IMG_2241 copy.jpg

k IMG_2244 copy.jpg

k IMG_2247 copy.jpg

k IMG_2368 copy.jpg

k IMG_2371 copy.jpg

k IMG_2399 copy.jpg

In spite of being a fake roth. I like it. So thanks a lot for your help.

I'm no expert but to my eye I thought I could see P.philippense and P.sanderianum alongside P.roth at least. There could be so much variation in a cross between say Saint Swithin and PEOY that you'd never be able to I.D. it from sight - you'd only know if it was properly labelled. I like it though and would happily grow it.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your opinions!
It confirms my thoughts on it, but unfortunateley I still have to learn much about hybrids. Despite of being a multihybride I like it very much vor it's elegancy.

Thanks troy!
Might there be a bit of philippinense in it? The violet volour of the petals gave me the impression, however the pouch says otherwise, or is colour no relevant factor at all?

Latest posts

Back