Paphiopedilum hangianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG!!! :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I think there is no way around, but to muster ones patience!

In my experience this species just simply is a slow grower...any other experiences/opinions?!

Kind regards,
Jens

Yes, it is slow grower compare to many other species.
If plant grow from seed, it take almost 6-7 years (in their habitat).

These photos I took in after 2 years:

2014:
photo hosting

2016:
upload photo

It looks like the roots don't have much cover, straight over the rocks, limestone??

Yes. it scrabble in serface of the lamestone. Sometime it go to the soid at the place that close to grow (have soild)

Could you say where that is? I would like to research the climate

If you want to check for climate that mean I have to give you very detail like village name because sometime 2 close villages can have altitude up to 1000m hight different and it is dangerous because many people will know location for exploit plants - that what I don't want.

If you want to check for climate that mean I have to give you very detail like village name because sometime 2 close villages can have altitude up to 1000m hight different and it is dangerous because many people will know location for exploit plants - that what I don't want.

That's understandable!

Averyanov et al. in 'Slipper Orchids of Vietnam' give quite extensive information on climate (high/low temperatures, precipitation, and so on) etc. for the species, they describe - P. hangianum among them. Usually from two weather stations in the area, where the plants grow.

In relation to the culture of P. hangianum and P. emersonii I have also received quite valuable information here (maybe from cxcanh?). Someone reported, documented with photos of the plants in situ, that hangianum in nature tended to grow in less direct light than emersonii, that seemed to grow in slightly, more exposed places. I've changed my regime according to this - and for hangianum, at least when it comes to growth, it seems to work well. With respect to emersonii both good effect on growth and flowering!

Back