Paphiopedilum glanduliferum at Show

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strongly doubt it's pure glanduliferum. At best it has wilhelminae mixed in its genome, at worst, roth. Good color, but dorsals are all over the place, petals as well, not to mention very little of the iconic twisting. Poor presentation with flowers facing at least three different directions; uneven spacing of flowers. Don't pull it.

Your last pic shows the staminode, maroon from wilhelmenae. There has never been a wilhelmenae this massive
Hear, hear! And there has never been a glanduliferum with a staminode like a wilhelminae (only back when the two species weren't yet clearly separated!).... P. Shin-Yi Williams x wilhelminae?

Might we get a few close-ups of the staminode, including one from the side?

William Ambler, perhaps

My William Ambler is open at the moment and it looks a lot like that, including the staminode. The sepals look bigger though. I think overall this is a pretty good plant. Nice tall spike, flowers are of good colour and look to be good size (assuming it is a William Ambler). The flowers are facing at different angles but that just looks like it was staked too late, so this is fixable in future flowerings. The only thing is the dorsal is not symmetrical on some of the flowers, but in other flowers the dorsal looks fine. It looks to be an above average William Ambler. But it is not a glanduliferum (praestans).

Strongly doubt it's pure glanduliferum. At best it has wilhelminae mixed in its genome, at worst, roth. Good color, but dorsals are all over the place, petals as well, not to mention very little of the iconic twisting. Poor presentation with flowers facing at least three different directions; uneven spacing of flowers. Don't pull it.
My first thought was Roth hybrid... William ambler or Susan Booth. Or a backcross to Roth of one of those.

In less than a second, one should recognize that this is not a species.
It's just so obvious. I don't know how else to say it.

Could you explain?

Here is a praestans as an example. The foliage is compact, narrow, stiff, so thick that it is almost succulent, and deep green in color. While there may be exceptions to these traits, every plant of that species complex I've seen have looked more or less similar and very distinct from the typical large, broad leaved, soft and somewhat floppy foliage that is common to most other multiflorals and I would at least question if not outright reject a plant presented as a member of the praestans complex that deviates too far like the plant in the OP.

35404-901bb8dcd2b66d61e47d8c344e856ac8.jpeg

Latest posts

Back