Paphiopedilum Dollgoldi 'Mariechen' SM/DOG 2010

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

ORG

Here a nice clone of the cross between Paph. rothschildianum and Paph. armeniacum in the collection of a friend. He get a silvermedal for:

Paphiopedilum Dollgoldi 'Mariechen' - SM DOG 2010

PaphiopedilumDollgoldiMariechen-rothschildianumXarmenacum-SMDOG2010-08.jpg

Best greetings

Olaf

Dollgoldi

Hi Olaf,
It has nice color, but from the picture it looks as though the staminode and pouch is askew, and the petals are cupped. I think in the US that would preclude it from any award. Although I am not a judge, but I have had several of my parvis primaries rejected for having only one of those traits. Dollgoldi is one of my favorites, and I love them all, even if the judges don't find them special. Are you going to this years Slipper Symposium?
Rob

Cool. I can handle the skew look but the petals really throw the balance of the flower off for me.

Any blooming Dollgoldi is a good one to me :) Love the color and veins!! :drool:

The synsepal is nice and wide, and the pouch is beautifully colored. But the symmetry and petal curl would knock it out of AOS quality award contention IMO.

I still like it and wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers.

If the flowers were presented to the judges just like in the photo, I agree it shouldn't have gotten an award. Olaf, when did you take the picture?

petals are horrid. even for this breeding. never say never though. i have seen MUCH MUCH worse get awarded in the states.

My guess is that it was likely awarded on a different blooming as this one is a bit wonky. The color is quite outstanding, but the lack of symmetry and reflexed petals would preclude an award on this particular flower.

Latest posts

Back