paphiopedilum barbigerum var. coccineum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It must be hard to tell these varieties or species apart until they flower (one never knows what one gets), since their leaves are all the same. They are not much different even to henryanum's leaves (or at least to my eyes)
Are the pictures from a commercial nursery? the quality of light reminds me so much of the light of certain season in the old country (or is it just my own nostalgia) there are so many plants to choose from!! Unfortunately, the wallet is only one size:sob:.

Congratulation, its a very nice one. Mine is growing very well. I could see in the photo that you have a big babig family- any for sale.
cheers
Albert

no Sir, home depot Ngoc Lan Vien, Ha Noi :sob:
That is why I was asking before where the pictures were taken. It is amazing , we human can retain awareness of minuscule variations in lighting (and other environment conditions) in all places we lived in the past .
Even I was raised in the South, the lighting is close enough that it reminds me of Vietnam.
Once awhile when either the light is right, or the moisture in the air is right, or the smoke of certain wood, the earthy smell after rain, or the color of the sunset, sunrise is right, or the wind speed & pressure on the skin is matching , they bring me to tear because they always bring me back to certain moments in my life.
sometimes it is a quiet atmosphere of new year mid day in Saigon, the coolness vaporous rain of Dalat morning, the loneliness of night in cape Saint Jacques after the camp fire burned off.

That is why I was asking before where the pictures were taken. It is amazing , we human can retain awareness of minuscule variations in lighting (and other environment conditions) in all places we lived in the past .
Even I was raised in the South, the lighting is close enough that it reminds me of Vietnam.
Once awhile when either the light is right, or the moisture in the air is right, or the smoke of certain wood, the earthy smell after rain, or the color of the sunset, sunrise is right, or the wind speed & pressure on the skin is matching , they bring me to tear because they always bring me back to certain moments in my life.
sometimes it is a quiet atmosphere of new year mid day in Saigon, the coolness vaporous rain of Dalat morning, the loneliness of night in cape Saint Jacques after the camp fire burned off.
Hein, hang in there buddy. It will be OK

Hello Hien,

Turczaninowia 2008, 11(1) : 5–168 73
254. – P. trantuanhii Gaetan Gogniat et X.G. de Loubresse, 2008, SOS Bull. 1, 1: 2.
Described from N Vietnam (“Son La prov., Moc Chau distr., …”). Type
(“Phan Ke Loc, P-9895”) – HN.
Differs from previous variety in median sepal with pink to pink-carmine center
spotted with numerous contrast dark brown to brown-purple blotches. Fig. 24, d.
Ecology. Broad-leaved evergreen forests on rocky crystalline limestone. 1000–
1100 m. Fl. September – November. Very rare (CR).
Distribution. Vietnam (Son La). Endemic.
Studied samples. Son La, Moc Chau, P-9895 (HN), P-10547 (HN).
Notes. Like previous variety, this is one of the rarest slipper orchid species
with very restricted range. It has intermediate morphology between P. insigne and
other Indochinese races of P. insigne complex (like P. barbigerum var. coccineum
and P. henryanum). Both varieties may be certainly found in limestone regions of
northern Laos allied to Vietnamese border.

P. barbigerum var. coccineum (Perner et R. Herrmann) W. Cavesrto,
2001, Gen. Paphiopedilum: 200. – P. coccineum Perner et R. Herrmann, 2000, Die
Orchidee, 51, 5: 623. – P. barbigerum var. lockianum Aver. 2002, Komarovia, 2: 11;
Aver. et al. 2003, Slipper Orch. Vietnam: 170. – P. vejvarutianum Gruss et Roellke,
2003, Die Orchidee, 54, 1: 59.

OR

P. barbigerum var. aspersum (Aver.) Aver. comb. et stat. nov. –
P. x aspersum Aver. 2002, Komarovia, 2: 17; Aver. et al. 2003, Slipper Orch. Vietnam

who can answer ?:confused::confused::confused:

Latest posts

Back