Paphiopedilum appletonianum var hainanense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
Second flowering. I first flowered it in August 2006. Four years for the 2nd growth to develop. There are no new leads so I suspect another 4 years till next flowering. Nice leaves on this plant.

David

Paphiopedilum appletonianum var hainanense

wolterianum2010closeupcom.jpg

wolterianum2010com.jpg

Both the flowers and plant are very attractive.

Slow and steady wins the race.

I guess that's why Leo likes to have a dozen or so of his favorites around so hopefully at least one will bloom each year.

That is a really beautiful flower and plant. Congratulations! I'm puzzled by the show growth. I've found this species to be a fast grower. Perhaps it's just your clone, or maybe it's the temperature. I grew mine under lights in the basement and it turned into a ball of foliage in a matter of only a few years; but, it did not bloom until I put it into the greenhouse. Then, all those unbloomed growths exploded into flower...what a sight! Unfortunately, that was pre-digital camera days, so, I didn't take any photos.

That is a really beautiful flower and plant. Congratulations! I'm puzzled by the show growth. I've found this species to be a fast grower. Perhaps it's just your clone, or maybe it's the temperature. I grew mine under lights in the basement and it turned into a ball of foliage in a matter of only a few years; but, it did not bloom until I put it into the greenhouse. Then, all those unbloomed growths exploded into flower...what a sight! Unfortunately, that was pre-digital camera days, so, I didn't take any photos.

Thanks John. Must be my clone. I bought it as a small seedling and much to my surprise it grew and flowered quickly (within a year). But the followup growth has been unbelieveably slow although I never felt it was ever struggling. It has always looked healthy. The minimum temp in my glasshouse is around 15oC which i would have thought would have been fine.

Pity there are no photos. You don't see a lot of specimen plants of this species. It has passed on then?

David

Lovely flower. But I wouldn't have the patience to wait another four years. I'm getting too old for that.

im soo with john, as i was reading this i was thinking 'wow thats so weird, mine is one of the most vigorous plants in my whole greenhouse' my flowers and leaf tessellation appear to be the exact same as yours as well. very interesting. are your growths still fairly small sized?

im soo with john, as i was reading this i was thinking 'wow thats so weird, mine is one of the most vigorous plants in my whole greenhouse' my flowers and leaf tessellation appear to be the exact same as yours as well. very interesting. are your growths still fairly small sized?

Yes, they are pretty small. This growth was marginally bigger than the first. But compared to most Barbata species, it is one of the smallest I have flowered. I'm actually finding a lot of the Barbata species to be slow growers and poor clumpers. Suggests there is something wrong with my culture/growing conditions.

David

Nice flowering David. May I suggest, "You just need to get it the h*ll out of Australia!" Mail it to Texas, we'll clump it up for you:D

Pity there are no photos. You don't see a lot of specimen plants of this species. It has passed on then?

David
I built the greenhouse in 1991 and moved the plant out there in early 1992. All the old, unbloomed growths were "triggered" into action at the same time. After that, it bloomed as each growth matured; so, I never saw it with nearly a couple dozen flowers out at the same time again; just 3 or 4 at any one time; but, almost all year long....pretty odd considering that it would not bloom at all down in the basement. I got my first digital camera, the one I'm still using, in December 2002; but, the plant died in the late 90's when I got sick and didn't care for my plants very well....or at all sometimes. This went on for a few years......Oh, the stuff I lost! :sob:

Very nice. Great color. Form is just on the edge of unbalanced, gives the flower some character.

Back