Paph villosum in the wild!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great photos!
About how high up the tree are they growing?
Are they always on trees or sometimes on the ground?
Do you see them on more than one species of tree?

These grew from about 6 feet upwards. The lower ones unfortunately had already finished flowering. I have also seen them growing on rocks and on exposed tree roots but not actually on the ground. They seem to only grow on one species of tree. The tree in the photo was covered with them while all the other trees alongside didn’t have any on at all!

I would love to see plants like these in the wild. I am already planning to visit Thailand next spring with another orchid enthusiast. (our other halfs are also having a holiday together but a bit more relaxing!) We hope to spend a few days down south looking for some Paphs on the islands then travel up north to have a few jungle treks. Can you recommend anywhere where we can go?

I would love to see plants like these in the wild. I am already planning to visit Thailand next spring with another orchid enthusiast. (our other halfs are also having a holiday together but a bit more relaxing!) We hope to spend a few days down south looking for some Paphs on the islands then travel up north to have a few jungle treks. Can you recommend anywhere where we can go?

It is difficult to explore these areas on your own and a bit dangerous if you have not been there before. I don’t know of anyone offering guides to show you orchids in the wild because the locals including the guides remove any plants they see for selling in the plant markets. It’s sad but if they see anything which they can turn into money they will take it. This happens even in the national parks where the rangers often have contacts with collectors and will sell plants to them. The only chance of seeing anything like this is finding it yourself and they are usually deep in the jungle. You’re best just getting hold of a good map and trying a few excursions yourself.
Otherwise there are the obvious places to visit like botanic gardens and orchid farms.

Latest posts

Back