Paph. venustum var. album

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candace

Reaction score
It must be venustum season. This is a first bloom seedling and it's currently growing in s/h. People either love these or hate them. It took me a while to appreciate this species, but I've grown to really like them and their hybrids.

venustumalbum.jpg

I love the species; both colour forms. However, I've never been able to warm up to the hybrids. I've just never seen an improvement over pure venustum. Everything I love about it, gets diluted in a hybrid. That's a really nice alba one, Candace. To steal your line in another thread....."Yum! Gimme!"

I love the species; both colour forms....

So do I - these flowers carry their 'brain' visible to everybody in their pouch.
P. venustum is very variable and therefore exist many clones with differences in flower colouration and leaf patterns.
The valid name of this album form is Paph. venustum var. measuresianum.
Congrats Candace - that's a beauty.

Best regards from Germany, rudolf

That looks great Candace, and the picture is awesome, I have a P. venustum in low sheath now. btw that P. Oto I got from you is in bud now and should bloom soon, I'll post when it does. Jim.

Oh my. That's pretty nice. Between these venustums and Lilo's sangii you guys might get me to start growing barbata Paphs too.

btw that P. Oto I got from you is in bud now and should bloom soon, I'll post when it does. Jim.
Yup. My plant is in bud too and should open any day. I'll post a pic too;>

I "need" some more varieties. All I have is this one and the reg. variety that also is a seedling. Poor me.

Very nice Candace...my venustum cross I ordered from Windy Hill last spring is in low bud. The cross is (venustum var album 'Lemon Twist' X Carole Kroeger 'Algonquin' AM/AOS). I'm very anxious to see how it blooms out. I agree that you either love these or you hate these.

Nice color and form! Esp the hairy petals :clap:

My regular venustum is in bud, but it seems to have stalled, I guess I need more patience :)

You've got a great looking venustum Candace. Especially if the petals stay relatively straight out as the flower ages. Could be awardable.

I'm more partial to the colored forms, but I agree with Rick about how nice yours is with the wide flat petals.:clap:

venustum var album 'Lemon Twist' X Carole Kroeger 'Algonquin' AM/AOS

I'm interested in how this cross turns out. Do post a photo!

We'll see if the petals get weird as it ages. Time will tell. One of the parents has an AM and this one is a tad small, 9 cm. NS. But, it's a first bloomer. Thanks for the comments.

Mark me down as one of those that "love 'em"! This is one on my wish list! :D That's a beauty!

great one ! I am amazed to see that for this species we see quite many plants of good shape and color, with very straight petals, wether in the US or here in Europe. there must have been some good breeding...

The frustrating thing for me is that my venustum var measuresianum blooms faithfully every year whereas my regular venustum refuses to bloom:confused:

Latest posts

Back