Paph The Gurka

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't seen a pic of it either. My guess at its look would be a giant spicerianum flower....

Hello Roy,

I agree.

It would be interesting to see a line up of spicerianum, Bruno and The Gurka.

I noticed a thread about Bruno and why anyone would make that cross.
Paph Bruno is the first Paph I owned and I still have the original plant I bought almost 30 years ago. Bruno would be my most reliable plant in terms of flowering and about every 2 years I take the 8 inch pot and divide the plant in two, then in two years the plant is ready to divide again.
I do wonder why someone would make "The Gurka"?

Regards, Mick

Quickly looking through OrchidWiz and AQ+ shows leads me to believe The Gurka to be a stepping stone in breeding complex paphs. Its in the background of Paph Stone Lovely for example. It was made in 1915 so I suppose it improved the shape. Later it was added to other paphs for reds, yellows etc. If Tim's around he'd know more.

I think one of the reason is Bruno is very expensive in some place.In Hong Hong, it is 200USD one flowering growth and some are sell in multi growth. Therefore I still can not buy even one growth .
Hello Roy,

I agree.

It would be interesting to see a line up of spicerianum, Bruno and The Gurka.

I noticed a thread about Bruno and why anyone would make that cross.
Paph Bruno is the first Paph I owned and I still have the original plant I bought almost 30 years ago. Bruno would be my most reliable plant in terms of flowering and about every 2 years I take the 8 inch pot and divide the plant in two, then in two years the plant is ready to divide again.
I do wonder why someone would make "The Gurka"?

Regards, Mick

I think one of the reason is Bruno is very expensive in some place.In Hong Hong, it is 200USD one flowering growth and some are sell in multi growth. Therefore I still can not buy even one growth .

Over the years I must have given away more than $10 000 worth of Bruno.

I asked why someone would make Paph The Gurka and after some thought I'm considering making the cross. I like Paph Bruno but the two clones I have (Model and ?) are a little short in stem length when compared to some of my better spicerianums. I'd be hoping for a Bruno size/shape flower on a tall stem.

Regards, Mick

Back