Paph stonei

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

gore42

This is one of the first Paph stonei that I ever bought. I got it about 3 years ago as a blooming size plant, but this is the first bloom for me. It came as a one growth plant, but that growth died... but before it did, a second growth started. The second growth is now blooming size, and it has a new growth that is about a year away from blooming.

Unfortunately, I lost the tag somewhere along the line, so I don't know what the cross is. Still, it's a nice big bloom... I'm hoping for more blooms and better color next time, though.

paph-stonei-fv1.jpg

and

paph-stonei-fv2.jpg

Anyway, I hope you'll forgive the over-sized photos :) I just can't stand to lose the detail.

Hope you like them!

As Ever,
Matthew Gore

Incidentally, the way that this plant holds the bloom doesn't lend itself very well to being processed as a 3D... so I probably will have to skip it on this one :(

Pretty exciting Matt! What's the leaf span of this plant.

I just noticed what looks like a bract coming up on one of my stoneis. It will be a first time bloomer of a seedling I purchased about 3 or so years ago.

the detail and colour of the petals are awesome!! and ur photography too!! i really like the detail of the petals that are twisted =) how do u grow them?

I prefer this colour in stonei. Very nice. Although this group were not my favourite they start to grow on me, especially when looking at these pictures.

I'm surprised Matt that it grew from a bump to bloom in 3 years! I thought stonies were slow to grow and mature, needing multiple grows? Mine is 2 mature growths and I thought I was going to get something the first of the year but it turned out to be another leaf:( I better go check again!;)

Very nice looking flower and apparently a very healthy plant!

Rick H

Congrats Matt to both - the flower and the photos - they are extraordinary and in the same way as we got used them from you.
It happened to me in the same way with my P. rothschildianum last year. It was flowering for the first time only with one single flower. I'm convinced there will be more flowers when your and my plants willl be in flower for the next time!

Best regards from Germany, GuRu

Exceptional specimen

Very nice stonei; seems more open than most, a big plus, and as well the petals are much more regular as well as having great color. I'd be interested in knowing the parents if you ever re-discover them.

I'm surprised Matt that it grew from a bump to bloom in 3 years! I thought stonies were slow to grow and mature, needing multiple grows? Mine is 2 mature growths and I thought I was going to get something the first of the year but it turned out to be another leaf:( I better go check again!;)

Very nice looking flower and apparently a very healthy plant!

Rick H

Mine grow just about as fast as everything else. I have a bract on a plant now that I purchased as a 4"span seedling in fall of 2004. It started multiple new growths last year, and one of those is almost have the size of the parent growth. High light and humidity, and they grow like weeds.

Very nice stonei; seems more open than most, a big plus, and as well the petals are much more regular as well as having great color. I'd be interested in knowing the parents if you ever re-discover them.

Me too!

Is this plant from the same lot that I got from you? My story with those is similar. They shocked pretty bad from the dividing and transit, but they seem to be settling in and are sending up multiple new growths now. I think the original mature growths tried to spike and blasted last year, but I'll have to look closer now.

Rick and Tenman,

This was not an imported plant; the imported plants that I've bloomed have invariably had a clean white dorsal. This plant came with a group of about 12 other stonei plants, some mature and some seedlings, that I bought from an American vendor. Some of them were 'Red Shoes' x 'Druids Mantis', some were unlabeled.

I bought a flask from Marriot Orchids a few years ago that I expect to be even better than this one; the photos that I saw of the parent plant were amazing. Unfortunately, they're still quite small. I've only just moved them up to bright light.

- Matt

Latest posts

Back