Paph St Swithin 'Summer Storm' HCC/AOC - maybe next time

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
I have had this clone for around 15 years. I first got it as a small division. It flowered in 2006 on a very small single growth which you can see below. I think the flowering took so much out of it that it struggled to recover. It grew at a snails pace. Eleven years later it has put up another spike. Again the growth is tiny (similar to below) and it only has a small new lead. So today I made the heartbreaking decision to save it from the same fate as before and nipped the buds off. It looked like it was going to have three flowers as well. It is such a beautiful clone that it is not worth risking. Hopefully in three years or so it will be strong enough to sustain a flowering.

stswith.jpg

Sorry to hear that. I find it a pretty good grower, not sure why yours is recalcitrant.

I have seen some big plants of this clone from you Brisbane growers. So it looks to be a good grower in general. But even for vigorous growing multi-florals, if you start off with a weak division it can be extremely difficult to re-establish them. I've been trying for 15 years with this plant and I still have a way to go.

Perhaps just an old clone thing with reluctant old patents used??
Does the original plant where yours came from still exist?

I know a person whose SS took 20 years to bloom, and that was a few years ago. Since, then, it bloomed about twice more with a couple of years' interval.
His plant is large typical size.

I like small sized plants.

Btw, I would have kept the spike and enjoy the flowers as there is no guaruntee when it will bloom again.

Perhaps just an old clone thing with reluctant old patents used??
Does the original plant where yours came from still exist?

I know a person whose SS took 20 years to bloom, and that was a few years ago. Since, then, it bloomed about twice more with a couple of years' interval.
His plant is large typical size.

I like small sized plants.

Btw, I would have kept the spike and enjoy the flowers as there is no guaruntee when it will bloom again.

I believe it is quite vigorous. Stephen said above that his plant is. I think this clone is in a lot of collections here. I've seen small divisions of this plant go for over $300 on ebay.

I think in the long run it was better to stop it flowering. On such a small plant, it wouldn't have been a high quality flowering anyway.

hmmm strange, then. Isn't it?
You grow other plants well.
So something is definitely going on with this one.
Maye it has mutated into a small growing and loose bloomer.

I have a division of a paph (parvi) whose parent plant is a great grower and a good bloomer, but it has been very tough in the last couple of years.

Then, other plants like Cymbidium goeringii and Neofinetia falcate can be nearly impossible to keep alive when divided too small.

Yours is at least growing and blooming. :)

hmmm strange, then. Isn't it?
You grow other plants well.
So something is definitely going on with this one.
Maye it has mutated into a small growing and loose bloomer.

I have a division of a paph (parvi) whose parent plant is a great grower and a good bloomer, but it has been very tough in the last couple of years.

Then, other plants like Cymbidium goeringii and Neofinetia falcate can be nearly impossible to keep alive when divided too small.
:)

I think it is just a matter of getting a division that was too small and weak. The plant I bought was just an old flowered growth and a small new lead. The new lead grew slowly and eventually flowered on a very small growth. It really wasn't strong enough to sustain this flowering and the plant declined from there. Fortunately it didn't die which they can often do in this situation. I didn't want to tempt fate and let it flower again on a small growth.

Multi-floral divisions should be a minimum of three growths if you want the plant to grow on easily. Otherwise they can take a long time to recover. My Susan Booth 'Paracombe' fell apart one year when I repotted it. There were three clumps with one a single old flowered growth with no new leads. It took me 6 years to get that division to flower and another 3 years before it was a strong plant. It has three growths now and is growing strongly. It is a very easy plant to grow but it took a long time to re-establish it. The other two bigger divisions grew on easily and have flowered regularly.

I agree David, smart move. Cut the spike and do it early. Nice flower BTW.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Three years later (where did the time go) I have flowered it again on a much bigger growth. Not a massive flower but I love the colour and form. I much prefer this to the big spidery unbalanced St Swithins. Still a small plant so it has much improvement left in it (in another three years). :)

St Swithin 'Summer Storm' HCC/AOC

st%20Swithin%20SS%202020%202.jpg

st%20Swithin%20SS%202020.jpg

Last edited:
Three years later (where did the time go) I have flowered it again on a much bigger growth. Not a massive flower but I love the colour and form. I much prefer this to the big spidery unbalanced St Swithins. Still a small plant so it has much improvement left in it (in another three years). :)

Very nice indeed. The great thing about technology, and modern digital cameras etc ....... is that they provide us ways of capturing some of that beauty - and preserving it, and sharing it on the internet.

Latest posts

Back