Paph St Swithin 'Summer Storm' HCC/AOC - maybe next time

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The appearance of your Paph. Saint Swithin flowers is fantastic! Just a tiny question --- can I ask what you mean by big spidery unbalanced? :D

Sometimes the petals get so long they don't present nicely. They start going out horizontally, then they suddenly drop down. A bit all over the place. Having said that, a lot of them are damn nice too. :) Such a variable hybrid.

Three years later (where did the time go) I have flowered it again on a much bigger growth. Not a massive flower but I love the colour and form. I much prefer this to the big spidery unbalanced St Swithins. Still a small plant so it has much improvement left in it (in another three years). :)

St Swithin 'Summer Storm' HCC/AOC

st%20Swithin%20SS%202020%202.jpg

Sometimes the petals get so long they don't present nicely. They start going out horizontally, then they suddenly drop down. A bit all over the place. Having said that, a lot of them are damn nice too. :) Such a variable hybrid.

Thanks for explaining! The flower you have is super tidy ------ I like the one you have too. Thank goodness somebody made the cross ----- the Saint Swithin ! Fantastic cross. Totally agree with you.

Is there anything not to like about your plant, David?! I especially love the dark, stark, contrasting colouring of the flowers, and theirs and the plants size!
All the best from Copenhagen, David!

DLE ---- true! The plant is in Canberra, Australia.View attachment 22017
It does get very cold in Canberra sometimes. Not as cold as Toronto though hahaha.

Yes, that's the spot. When they were working out where to put the capital city in Australia, they couldn't decide between Sydney and Melbourne so they built a new city in between. I just wished they could have chosen a warmer location. Canberra is the coldest city in Australia, but also gets bloody hot in summer. Not the greatest climate to grow Paphs, but I do my best.

But definitely not as cold as Totonto. :)

It's a real beauty! With some improvement in growth and one or two more flowers it could be worthy of an AM. Good luck and good growing!!!

I would have to grow it well. It was awarded in 1990 so it is quite an old clone now. There were a lot of great St Swithin clones in Australia around that time that are still sought after.

Latest posts

Back