Paph. sanderianum Miniature

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

John Boy

Today I thought I’d show you a sanderianum I had painted a few years back, when I had a little Orchid business in the U.K. Paph. sanderianum had only just been rediscovered, and so it was fitting to have something named “sanderianum” available, whilst waiting for the first seedlings to make it into the real world.
I had it made in the tradition of the old style Miniature Paintings. There are quite a few people collecting this sort of thing, mostly as antiques. The materials used are gold-leaf, Water Colours and fossil Mammoth-Ivory. The painting itself sits embedded in a tiny brass-frame, right in the centre of the picture. It took quite a while to find a painter willing, and able to do a real miniature, but at the end I got lucky (very lucky!!!), and one of the worlds’ true masters of the art of flower and porcelain painting agreed to do the job. Apparently there’s not too much difference between painting on porcelain or ivory. Sourcing the fossil ivory was less of an act than I thought, just expensive. And here we are. Paph. sanderianum as a Miniature Painting. I sold 2 of these to the U.S., one to Japan, 2 within the U.K. and kept one for myself. These days I prefer the plants over the Miniature, but that’s only because of the excitement you get, every time these petals unroll so shamelessly….

Enjoy!

4665295643_cc4eebdb3d_b.jpg

4665926520_69b16ceaa5_b.jpg

4665311867_42ab118371_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd need a magnifying glass to attempt that! What's the size of the pic? The stick matches I have are about 2 1/2", so I'm guessing 3 x 5?

The plate itself is 8,5cm high and 6,5cm wide. That basically means painting under a magnifying glass, and NO misakes. Make one, and you can start a new plate!

OMG!! If one didn't appreciate it before, that should change your mind!

Latest posts

Back