Paph Question

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Amy

Hello All,

I have been off the forum for quite a while, I just recently got Paph makuli x sakhakulii this is my only paph and was doing some repotting today on it as the fellow that gave it to me was trying to do semi hydro on it to see how paphs would respond. Since I am not doing this type of culture and it was in a huge pot and very very wet I wanted to repot.

So my issue is, it seemed very loose in this mix and was coming out rather easy so I gently pulled it and ended up breaking a nice long root from it :(

Most of that root was mushy and hollow, but there were two roots that were nice and firm I broke off in the process.

There is a little bit of root left on the plant, its shooting out new plant growth as well. I potted it up gave it a good drink as the new medium was dryer.

So will this plant be okay and grow some more new roots soon?

I am not new to orchids, but my collection is very very limited as I don't like a lot of plants in the home I have ( 1 Phal Equitris, 1 Angreaecum didieri, and this Phal Makuli x Sakhakulii)

I have had Paphs in the past with great success but never did this when repotting, I am so mad for doing this. But hope it survives.

it should recover and put out new roots. keep it evenly moist (not too wet not too dry) and in 3-6 months it should be fully re-established.

This cross should grow like a weed, and it should be fine in a few months, as Justin said. I would just add... Paphs with only a few roots left can be wobbly in the pot, and if it has a tendency to flop this way or that to any extent it can harm new roots when they do emerge. Use some stakes and tie it if necessary. You should get a flush of new roots when a new fan of leaves is growing.

Latest posts

Back