Paph primulinum fma. purpurescens

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First bloom for me. Looks good except for the "Kirk Douglas" chin.

PaphprimulinumpurpurescensA1.jpg

PaphprimulinumpurpurescensA1plant.jpg

Moving right along. How long have you been growing this one Ross, and what was the source?

I still have a handful of seedlings from our cross, and a couple are starting to put on some good growth.

These have a charm in person, another cutie! What size is the pot Ross? I was surprised how small mine was when it bloomed.

Huh? Do you mean that at some point, one should stop the blooming? Is that what killed mine, also?

I also got mine from Andy's in 02, and it started blooming in 03. Until late this summer its always had at least one growth in spike, and some of the spikes ran for over a year. Early in 08 it had 3 spikes going concurrently. I bred it in two successive years too. It has about a 1/2 dozen new growths coming up now, and I'm glad it finally seems to be taking a break.

Often you feel compelled to put off repotting a plant in bloom, but as productive as this species is, its important to repot regularly, and top dress with oyster shell or bone meal in between. I probably added in oyster shell about 2X per year, and in this last year I've dusted with bone meal every 2 or 3 months.

... and it will bloom, and bloom, and bloom...

that's how I killed my last one.

Huh? Do you mean that at some point, one should stop the blooming? Is that what killed mine, also?

Mine produced 3 flowers & is smaller than Ross's, so far it looks just fine. I hadn't considered it Dot, until you mentioned losing the haynald. album.I snipped the bloom on my little fairrie cause it's so small. (We have the picture to look at & enjoy til next blooming!)

Back