Paph. praestans

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardy

Reaction score
An old photo of my plant grown back home (in Indonesia).

DSCN1186.JPG

DSCN1183.JPG

3 spikes, 9 flowers -- not bad!
I see 2 spikes and 10 flowers but who's counting??

Anyway, Great looking plant with super flowers. I have yet to see a praestans/ glanduliferum with this many flowers per spike! How many years have you been cultivating this monster?

Well bloomed!!

What did you use for potting substrate?

Thank you. I use tree fern fiber mixed with large chunks of charcoal for this one, but I'm switching to birdnest fern fiber (Asplenium nidus)

I see 2 spikes and 10 flowers but who's counting??

Anyway, Great looking plant with super flowers. I have yet to see a praestans/ glanduliferum with this many flowers per spike! How many years have you been cultivating this monster?

I bought it as a single growth in 1998.

Thank you. I use tree fern fiber mixed with large chunks of charcoal for this one, but I'm switching to birdnest fern fiber (Asplenium nidus)

Can you please explain why the change from tree fern to bird's nest fern fibre? Personally, I use bird's nest fern as it is basically free (just chop up any fallen down ferns into pieces) compared to tree fern, which is rather expensive.. its also more absorbent. But I have seen monster sized paphs grown in tree fern 'pots' (hollowed out tree fern trunk) and I was advised that bird's nest fern is usually dirty and may harbour many unwelcome organisms..

That it spectacular! Wendy is going to go nuts when she sees this thread! She's a sucker for multi's.

Yep....I LOVE it! Fortunately I happen to have a three growth praestans v glanduliferum that is getting close to showing a sheath. Hopefully I have half as many flowers as your wonderful plant one day. Thank you! :clap:

Congratulations!
I find that this species doesnt bloom very often, but it definitely gets more floriferous as it gets bigger.

Latest posts

Back