smuggling is living and will forever, reasons

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I liked to buy few pahis from Indonesia. All are cultivated, pot grown plants. Nursery sent me pics about plants. I paid deposit for them,a lot of money....but!!!!I had to step away from business.Reasons: permission cost is several hundred(!!!!) usd, plants need 4 weeks (!!!!) in quaranine in Indonesia( i suppose they will measure the body heat of plants due to covid, EKG, EEG, ELISA PCR tests or what????) , permission from Hungarian government, about 200 dollars, 43 percent TAX(!!!) and another 4 weeks quarantine here, in Hungary. Furthermore noone can take responsibility, if plants get hurt or die.

Last edited:
You get DEAD mushy plants after all the thousands you spend on top of the plants… egad!!!
Another brilliant example, import from UK after the brexit. I had an idea to buy few plants from Elite, Mark Turner. He has fantastic plants, all are legal, seed grown. I ask about document. Cites for export from uk , irrespectively about the amount of order is 1250 £!!!!(yes, one thousand two hundred fifty). When plants arrived here, 43 percent tax, and if anyone lives in pinky mist, wake up!!!, tax must be paid after all cost, not after the value of plants!!!!So if i buy for 100 pounds, shipping is 20 puonds, docs are 1250, I must pay tax after1370 pounds!!!!And 4 weeks quarantine....its a very bad joke....

I was wondering if there are any businesses in Hungary or immediately surrounding countries that import, grow, produce, sell orchids? I don’t have a good understanding about buying orchids in the EU or UK.

I was wondering if there are any businesses in Hungary or immediately surrounding countries that import, grow, produce, sell orchids? I don’t have a good understanding about buying orchids in the EU or UK.
Yes, there are many orchid growers and nurseries here within Europian Union. If i buy eg. from Germany ( within EU), export and import are free, no taxes, no permissions. But UK left the union, after British Exit, regulations are changed between UK and the EU.

I liked to buy few pahis from Indonesia. All are cultivated, pot grown plants. Nursery sent me pics about plants. I paid deposit for them,a lot of money....but!!!!I had to step away from business.Reasons: permission cost is several hundred(!!!!) usd, plants need 4 weeks (!!!!) in quaranine in Indonesia( i suppose they will measure the body heat of plants due to covid, EKG, EEG, ELISA PCR tests or what????) , permission from Hungarian government, about 200 dollars, 43 percent TAX(!!!) and another 4 weeks quarantine here, in Hungary. Furthermore noone can take responsibility, if plants get hurt or die.

The problem is as well to trust the wrong people to ask this kind of informaton.

1) Indonesia

That's a common trick from many sellers in Indonesia and other countries too... There is absolutely no way to get a CITES for Paphiopedilum out of Indonesia, species, hybrids or whatever. Usually the customers pay for the plant, then the seller informs that the CITES costs a lot of money, delays, if not much more, and either it is smuggling way or the money is lost.

4 weeks quarantine is related to the export of some types of plant only, precaution against a nematodes that is in several ASEAN countries, and that indeed is a deadly threat to Europe. There is no cure or treatment if it is imported and it can spread easily, if it did not already. I saw a couple of nurseries of aroids in the Netherland that imported that pest with plants from Thailand, they had to destroy and disinfect entire compartments of their greenhouses. It is not actually a 4 weeks quarantine, but the plant must be inspected at the nursery before export... For orchids, they can be inspected on spot, so no quarantine needed if the nursery is legit.

There is nowhere in Europe any 4 weeks post-entry quarantine, as such thing does not exist in Europe, there are no facilities to do so as well. The import taxe are harmonized inside the EU, and they are the VAT + a small percentage, depending on the TARIFF ( the code of the goods). But it won't be 40% or more for sure.

2) UK

CITES export permit from the uk cost only 74 pounds

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/apply-f...certificates-to-trade-endangered-species#fees
For the first species. For any additional species/hybrids in the same genus ( like Paphiopedilum), the fee is 1.5 pound only per additional reference. So, to export 10 species from the UK would cost, CITES wise, 74 pounds + 10 x 1.5 pound.

Definitely and never 1250 pounds for it. Between UK and Europe there is no quarantine either as well, so the process is quite easy. The problem is that it is a big nuisance to carry it on for smaller orders...

Last edited:
The problem is as well to trust the wrong people to ask this kind of informaton.

1) Indonesia

That's a common trick from many sellers in Indonesia and other countries too... There is absolutely no way to get a CITES for Paphiopedilum out of Indonesia, species, hybrids or whatever. Usually the customers pay for the plant, then the seller informs that the CITES costs a lot of money, delays, if not much more, and either it is smuggling way or the money is lost.

4 weeks quarantine is related to the export of some types of plant only, precaution against a nematodes that is in several ASEAN countries, and that indeed is a deadly threat to Europe. There is no cure or treatment if it is imported and it can spread easily, if it did not already. I saw a couple of nurseries of aroids in the Netherland that imported that pest with plants from Thailand, they had to destroy and disinfect entire compartments of their greenhouses. It is not actually a 4 weeks quarantine, but the plant must be inspected at the nursery before export... For orchids, they can be inspected on spot, so no quarantine needed if the nursery is legit.

There is nowhere in Europe any 4 weeks post-entry quarantine, as such thing does not exist in Europe, there are no facilities to do so as well. The import taxe are harmonized inside the EU, and they are the VAT + a small percentage, depending on the TARIFF ( the code of the goods). But it won't be 40% or more for sure.

2) UK

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/apply-f...certificates-to-trade-endangered-species#fees
For the first species. For any additional species/hybrids in the same genus ( like Paphiopedilum), the fee is 1.5 pound only per additional reference. So, to export 10 species from the UK would cost, CITES wise, 74 pounds + 10 x 1.5 pound.

Definitely and never 1250 pounds for it. Between UK and Europe there is no quarantine either as well, so the process is quite easy. The problem is that it is a big nuisance to carry it on for smaller orders...
Dear Xavier.
About indonesian export all info were originated from two letters, written by Indonesian Agicultural Ministry and Hungarian Embassay of Jakarta.
About export permission cost info from UK to EU was originated from Mark Turner, the owner of Elite Orchids.
About taxes in Hungary: yes, taxes are harmonized, import tax is 16 percent. But there is a general tax on every item within Hungary, 27 percent ( there are a very few exeption, bread, milk, wheat, insuline, cardiovascular medicine).These taxes are summerised 43 percent. Offices in Hungary count tax based on all the costs what costumer paid, not the real value of the item.

Last edited:
2) UK

There are also costs for a UK seller registering with APHAS that I think have been added into this single lump sum here as well aside from CITES certificates.

For phytosanitary certificates, not only do you have to pay to register but you also have to pay for the inspection and the time for the inspector to travel to you and conduct the inspection before you can issue phytosanitary certificates.

A small business may well decide that they can't take that hit on the hope that others may order from the EU.

When you add in the VAT rules implemented since BREXIT, our government have thrown more blocks in the way of trading outside the EU than the EU ever did.

Latest posts

Back