Paph. philippinense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
When I pulled this plant out of it's summer home to photograph it, I saw that it has 3 more spikes coming! Too bad they won't all be open at once!

Paph_philippinense-10.jpg

:drool::drool: 3 more spikes?????!!! :drool::drool: OUTSTANDING! WTG Dot!

WOW!! That is just "AWESOME". Now where would that summer spot be, please give us the details..... Jim.

That is an amazing plant Dot. Great growing. Look forward to seeing the photo when the other 3 spikes are open at once.

David

WOW!! That is just "AWESOME". Now where would that summer spot be, please give us the details..... Jim.

Jim, I have a shaded plant stand on the south side of our house. The shade cloth is 50%. I have the plant in back, behind a huge Den. spectabile, so the phil is even more shaded.

I got my cue from Paul Phillips who once told me he had a philippinense that wouldn't bloom so he "threw it under the benches and forgot about it" until one day he happened to see it in spike. I took that to mean it likes plenty of water, as do other plants, but perhaps likes more shade than other multiflorals.

Jim, I have a shaded plant stand on the south side of our house. The shade cloth is 50%. I have the plant in back, behind a huge Den. spectabile, so the phil is even more shaded.

I got my cue from Paul Phillips who once told me he had a philippinense that wouldn't bloom so he "threw it under the benches and forgot about it" until one day he happened to see it in spike. I took that to mean it likes plenty of water, as do other plants, but perhaps likes more shade than other multiflorals.

This is a very late blooming time for phil. It could be because you are growing it quite shaded.

I grow mine in the brightest part of my GH which is Vanda quality light (3000+ fC), next to roths and stoneis. They also seem pretty impervious to high temps.

That is a beautiful, high flower count phil Dot!!

Wow! THREE more spikes coming is doubtless the reason for such 'poor' flower count on the spike blooming now. Just Kidding! That's stunning, and it's only a quarter of the show! :) Don't divide a nice specimen like that on purpose, but if a chunk happens to fall off while you're repotting... ;) I'm sure there's already a wait list though!

This is a very late blooming time for phil. It could be because you are growing it quite shaded.

I grow mine in the brightest part of my GH which is Vanda quality light (3000+ fC), next to roths and stoneis. They also seem pretty impervious to high temps.!...
Interesting, Rick. I got this one from Paul -- maybe there are genetics involved as to why my plant likes it shadier and yours does better with high light?

Wow! THREE more spikes coming is doubtless the reason for such 'poor' flower count on the spike blooming now. Just Kidding! That's stunning, and it's only a quarter of the show! :) Don't divide a nice specimen like that on purpose, but if a chunk happens to fall off while you're repotting... ;) I'm sure there's already a wait list though!
It may be awhile -- I just repotted it. But I'll try to remember.

Latest posts

Back