Paph. noID wardii hybrid (vini)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atlantis

Reaction score
The most reliable bloomer I own. I can enjoy it each Christmas.

The best flower I´ve got from this plant (colour, texture and shape).

NS: 10 cm
Stem: 40 cm aprox.

Hope you like it.

15543431424_3e0762f76e_z.jpg

15979720449_9d06d22817_z.jpg

15978477100_4fb30dd942_z.jpg

Love it. :smitten: It's wonderfully dark and I like the shape, too.

That's lovely and dark.
Why do you think its a wardii hybrid? Could be a sukharkulii hybrid. Are there any wardii vinicoloured clones?
Maybe the foliage? Just a guess.

Foliage, petals (shape, stance and pattern -spotted with very small dots along the whole petals-), dorsal stance and e-mail to the vendor asking for the plant ;)

I´ll try to take a pic of the petals using a lantern. That's the only way to see the tiny spots.

That's lovely and dark.
Why do you think its a wardii hybrid? Could be a sukharkulii hybrid. Are there any wardii vinicoloured clones?

Foliage, petals (shape, stance and pattern -spotted with very small dots along the whole petals-), dorsal stance and e-mail to the vendor asking for the plant ;)

I find it quite likely as a wardii hybrid, especially if the spotting is small, and those leaves are pretty obvious. There are many vini hybrids with wardii involved to choose from. Coronado's Quest, Anne Shirley and Pierre Bertaux might look like this for instance. Satchel Paige or Petula less likely. I'm sure there are more, including unregistered. No way to be sure without information from the vendor.

And there are some very dark wardii clones, like 'Darkwing', that could contribute to this outcome even without a dark vini Maudiae-type parent involved.

This is a beauty, too bad there is no parental history. Question: Hairs on the dorsal edge, is that a wardii trait?

This is a beauty, too bad there is no parental history. Question: Hairs on the dorsal edge, is that a wardii trait?
Think so. Mine has it and I just checked the species photos on slipperorchids.info, and they're all hairy buggers.

That's funny, I have one in bloom and mine looks just like yours! almost identical! I love leaves on these plants.

Mine is a cross between wardii and Hsinying Rubyweb.

That's lovely and dark.

Wardii is used to intensify the "blackness" of the petals and the pouch. I think it is an attempt to make black maudiae type flower, but dorsal always comes out much lighter in this kind of pairing.

Latest posts

Back