Paph Maud- Show Worthy?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.Green17

Reaction score
Hello everyone Here are some pics of my Maud that I have taken over the years while its been in bloom. Do you guys think it would be worth trying to enter it into a show?

The cross is: Paphiopedilum Fred's Enchantment (Friedrich von Hayek 'Lehua's Quite Elegance' HCC/AOS x Magically Wood 'Slipper Zone Pink Syn' AM/AOS)

IMG_7446.jpegA25ACFE5-5A65-4503-9265-7266F2B01540 3.JPG

Last edited:
With the information you have provided, I can’t understand what the hybrid is. I can’t look it up as written.
Is it (Fred’s Enchantment ‘Friedrich Von Hayden x Fred’s Enchantment ‘Lehua’s Quiet Elegance’ HCC/ AOS) x Magically Wood ‘Slipper Zone Pink’? Because what you wrote is very confusing.
Or better yet, just provide an image that clearly shows the name tag.

It is pretty, possibly ribbon worthy, but there is no way to predict that.
AOS worthy? I don’t know that either.
In the case of a show ribbon, it depends upon what else is entered in its class.
In case of the AOS, that depends upon other parameters.

Last edited:
sorry I added the parentheses in the wrong place! should read as: Paphiopedilum Fred's Enchantment (Friedrich von Hayek 'Lehua's Quite Elegance' HCC/AOS x Magically Wood 'Slipper Zone Pink Syn' AM/AOS)

Last edited:
Well that helps. It makes sense now. The cross has been awarded before. But for a ribbon in a show, I would enter it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Are you an AOS member? If so you have access to OrchidPro which has all of the AOS award records available to search, if you're interested in submitting plants for judging it is a valuable tool. It isn't always easy to evaluate a plant from photos but a quick look at the three prior awards show plants with richer color, wider petals, and/or larger sepals, I probably wouldn't have high hopes for an award on this particular plant. That being said it is still a perfectly nice flower, and if you're near a judging center you have nothing to lose taking it in on the next scheduled judging day. Judges are generally a friendly bunch and most would be happy to let you observe the judging process and give you feedback on your plant afterward.

Are you an AOS member? If so you have access to OrchidPro which has all of the AOS award records available to search, if you're interested in submitting plants for judging it is a valuable tool. It isn't always easy to evaluate a plant from photos but a quick look at the three prior awards show plants with richer color, wider petals, and/or larger sepals, I probably wouldn't have high hopes for an award on this particular plant. That being said it is still a perfectly nice flower, and if you're near a judging center you have nothing to lose taking it in on the next scheduled judging day. Judges are generally a friendly bunch and most would be happy to let you observe the judging process and give you feedback on your plant afterward.
I'm not an AOS member, but I will look into that! Thank you! Thats all great to hear. I have not ventured much into the orchid community, but would like to be more involved and learn more from experienced growers.

Okay J.Green17, I did the work for you. You need to join the Genesee Region Orchid Society. They meet in Rochester, so that is not terribly far from you. There you will find helpful members, programs, a Spring Orchid Show in April. Just everything that you need to get more knowledge about orchids. You can enter orchids and get ribbons if that is something that you would like.
They have a web page.

Okay J.Green17, I did the work for you. You need to join the Genesee Region Orchid Society. They meet in Rochester, so that is not terribly far from you. There you will find helpful members, programs, a Spring Orchid Show in April. Just everything that you need to get more knowledge about orchids. You can enter orchids and get ribbons if that is something that you would like.
They have a web page.
When a former colleague of mine proposed, that I joined an orchid society (probably because she found me talking ON her about orchids), my first thought was: "No, I'm not that much of a nerdy nutter!". 10 years after I'm the vice-chair of our local branch of DOK (Danish Orchid Society)..... talking about a slipper(y) slope! 😁

Mr(s). Green, I can only recommend you to follow big923's advice and join your local AOS-branch... it's so much more fun to share your hobby or interest with others...even as a beginner I'm sure you'll get a nice outcome by joining: the AOS-magazine, the elucidating talks, orchid shows, information on culture/shared experiences, etc.
Just look out for the nice people - and for all in the world steer clear of the know-it-alls (often easily detected by their pompous manner and lecturing style)!
Best of luck!
Jens

Jens,
The ‘Know it all’s’ here have glowing green eyes and their shoes are on backwards!!!! Makes them real easy to see!!!
😜😛🤪
I better make it clear, that by 'Know it all's' I'm not referring to people with real knowledge and long time experience, who generously share of this with the rest of us (as is for example the case with Hans Christiansen, my mentor in all things orchidiadic, with his 54+ years experience as professional nursery owner)... the warning rather pertains to self-proclaimed experts, pontificating on rather shallow grounds! 😉

I run into know it all’s here all the time in Michigan. There isn’t anything that they do not know about orchids. Just ask them, you will see. I am amazed!!
I look for the “green eyes” every time.
But I agree, mentors in orchids are wonderful people. But you know something, they are never boastful or pushy, not forceful or domineering, but the little gems of knowledge that they possess is awe inspiring.

They have a web page.
Thank you so much! :)

I run into know it all’s here all the time in Michigan. There isn’t anything that they do not know about orchids. Just ask them, you will see. I am amazed!!
I look for the “green eyes” every time.
But I agree, mentors in orchids are wonderful people. But you know something, they are never boastful or pushy, not forceful or domineering, but the little gems of knowledge that they possess is awe inspiring.
I think I may have green eyes lol.

Latest posts

Back